TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Hi,

My engine is shot. I would like to buy a remanufactured long block. At this point I would also like to get PI heads too. Does Long block for 1999 Mustang SOHC fit into 1996 Cougar?

1999 FORD MUSTANG 4.6L V8 SOHC Long Block | RockAuto

Tero

Yes, it'll drop right in. Since you have a 1996, you have the correct fuel rails for a full PI engine as well. You will need a tune and a tuner to get proper performance out of it, but that's pretty simple. While you're at it, why not get some upgrades on it too? You could also find a 99-04 DOHC engine and drop it in fairly easily, some minor rewiring of your harness would be needed.

What exactly is wrong with your motor? Another option would be an Explorer 4.6 from 2002-2005, they're the same exact engine as the Mustang 2V but with an aluminum block, so they weigh less.
http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2004,explorer,4.6l+v8,1427802,engine,long+block,5240

Either way, you'll need to salvage your motor mount brackets. I'd recommend new motor mounts since it'll be out too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

This engine ran without oil so it has spund bearings etc. I will be installing Allen SC kit after engine swap. Kit I have is for PI heads.

Tero

·
Super Moderator
17,052 Posts
You could also find a 99-04 DOHC engine and drop it in fairly easily, some minor rewiring of your harness would be needed
Eh, no. Even if I half assed my swap there'd be no "minor" rewiring, since the harness drapes over it completely differently, especially if you're using COP, which every 99-04 DOHC is set up for due to specific the valve cover designs. Then there's the fact that the stock hood won't clear the intakes, or that you'd either need to get kooks headers and say goodbye to EGR or do the steering shaft mod and use Cobra manifolds, either way requiring reworking of the exhaust.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Eh, no. Even if I half assed my swap there'd be no "minor" rewiring, since the harness drapes over it completely differently, especially if you're using COP, which every 99-04 DOHC is set up for due to specific the valve cover designs. Then there's the fact that the stock hood won't clear the intakes, or that you'd either need to get kooks headers and say goodbye to EGR or do the steering shaft mod and use Cobra manifolds, either way requiring reworking of the exhaust.
Thanks for the clarification. I thought it wouldn't be much worse than a Mark VIII swap, but apparently I'm mistaken.

The 99-04 2V and Explorer swap are doable though.

·
Super Moderator
10,667 Posts
In any case, you will need a tuner and a tune.

PI engines are substantially different, and DOHC motors are completely different than the stock tune.

A dohc swap is not anywhere near as inexpensive as a PI swap. :)

I'd do the PBR brake upgrade first, either way. :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
A lot of parts from the original engine can be used to make the harness easy, coil packs, etc, with almost no cost in performance.

·
Super Moderator
10,667 Posts
To swap that engine, you remove almost everything off the outside of your old engine, and put it on the new one. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts