TCCoA Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
Those were Volkswagen with a decent body.
They drove like sheit.

My dad bought one in the 70's; the best thing about it was the squeaky toy we found in the trunk, that my German Shepherd loved.
:)
He had dreams of putting some kind of engine it it, but it rusted into pieces within a couple of months of him buying it; a battery had exploded+fire in it, at the same time the engine blew.
He bought it for $100, so WTF.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Can't say it's because Ford owns Jaguar, because it doesn't anymore.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Meanwhile, at Tesla
Have to admit, it's unique. At least Tesla has the balls to think outside the box and not follow cookie cutter trends like every other company. They should have really rehersed the whole "bullet proof" glass ahead of time though lol

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Yeah, that part was really funny! I got a good laugh out of it.

Then the part of loading up an ATV to go along with it? That was really cool!!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,778 Posts

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I'm just blown away they were able to make it that much uglier than it was to begin with. Kudos???
The crazy part is that I think there will be people buying the Mach E.
People buy the Maccan, Cayenne, and Tesla model Xs in decent volume.

I suspect that as a marketing exercise, being able to offer ridealongs in a chassis that's easier to enter/exit (for a race car) like the Mach E would be good for promotion even if it has nothing to do with the real Mach E except for some look-alike body panels.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Given the state of the world today I think many people carry the sentiment that most people are really really stupid, which will vary from viewpoint to viewpoint depending on what side you’re on, but I’d like to say I realized it the very day the Cayenne debuted, and this quest since to make every car from Hyundai to Lamborghini a SUV represents the true downfall of civilization.

I don’t know who they’re trying to convince as a marketing exercise, everyone realized 8 years ago how fast EVs can be, nobody detracting the Mach E cares about that aspect one bit. The elephant in the room is it looks like a ******* elephant.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Given the state of the world today I think many people carry the sentiment that most people are really really stupid, which will vary from viewpoint to viewpoint depending on what side you’re on, but I’d like to say I realized it the very day the Cayenne debuted, and this quest since to make every car from Hyundai to Lamborghini a SUV represents the true downfall of civilization.

I don’t know who they’re trying to convince as a marketing exercise, everyone realized 8 years ago how fast EVs can be, nobody detracting the Mach E cares about that aspect one bit. The elephant in the room is it looks like a *** elephant.
It took something like 53 years for Porsche to make the 1millionth 911. They sold 770,000 Cayenne's in 15 years of production so they should hit the 1 millionth Cayenne sometime this year (maybe, Pandemic willing).

Yes, electric cars have all the torques. this giant greenhouse is just crazy. I think they make them for the same reason they make the GT500 Mustang or even the Nascar Mustang. It makes people feel good about their 24cyl turbo they bought that kinda looks the same if you squint your eyes. Ken Block doing donuts in his garage with the Mustang Mach E 1400 makes the walter mittys of the world happy that they can do the same when they pull into their garage with their 3 kids in their "Mustang".

Side thought: they might also try to go after specific competitions like the pikes peak hillclimb (which advantages EV vs ICE vehicles because of the relatively short distance, need for massive torque, and no delta b/c of lower oxygen levels at altitude). Lots of these competitions have categories for practically any vehicle you can imagine.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Well porsche also survived as a company for 53 years building exclusively sports cars so obviously the formula was sustainable, and the brand is so iconic and pedigreed from those years that a bunch of house wives would buy just about anything to have the prestigious badge alone. Now a days Porsche is part of VW group, so just sell VWs with “engineered by Porsche” badges and leave it there. This business trend to cash out brand legacies is disgusting, and if the sports car end gets canned for selling less volume, you can bet there won’t be a Porsche in another 53 years if they’re just another SUV maker in the very over saturated market that’s being created.

I think real motorsports pedigree is key, and I agree a hill limb would be the way to really show off an intrinsic EV advantage. Tesla gained a lot of enthusiast cred with videos showing P100Ds tearing up Hellcats and supercars at sanctioned quarter mile tracks in ludicrous mode, but even that’s just one metric. The stigma remains that they’re still too heavy to be as nimble around corners or that their range at full throttle is decimated. I like ken block videos as much as the next guy but at the root of it he’s just hooning around spinning tires like he can do in numerous other cars we’ve seen him in, it doesn’t really prove anything about the vehicles as a marketing ploy. I’m pretty sure NASCAR doesn’t either, most fans seem acutely aware of how deliberately and strictly equal the cars are speced and how it’s more about strategy and driver skill than it is “my Ford won Daytona!”.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts