TCCoA Forums banner

41 - 60 of 132 Posts

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
I'm thinking when I re installed the pads, I put them in the right way, but because half of the "outer" pad was significantly worn than the rest of the pad, only half of the pad is getting positive contact with the rotor. I ordered a new set of pads this morning. Hopefully since I have not put many miles on with the pads installed wrong, my rotors will accept the new pads with no issues.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Kind of a dumb design if you ask me. The 2 pins on the outer pad don't do anything and the center pin on the inner pad hits the center part of the outer bracket if installed backwards causing the pad to not sit flush. Other than that they are interchangeable.

I pulled mine off to change the inner tie rod ends and thought I placed one inside the wheel under the car and the other outside. Some how they got changed up and were reversed on one side when I put them back on. I wasn't paying attention other than that. I drove it thinking the would free up since I pumped them up to bleed them and cracked a piston. These pistons are very hard to find and after I got a rebuilt caliper I saw them somewhere.

·
3,734 Posts
Yup! That's all it was. I installed the new set of pads today and the rotors are wearing evenly now. For future reference, the pads with the metal pegs go on the outside, not on the inside where the pistons are.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Wow this is a great thread. I thought i was done with my Cobra brake install and I see I need to go do a little grinding on my caliper to so I don't have interference. I am glad the pics are still up after all this time. They were very helpful.

·
3,734 Posts
Okay, so now when braking, after the brakes have warmed up, the car pulls to the right. Both calipers are thoroughly bled. I have to steer slightly to keep from veering off the the right. What's up now?

·
3,734 Posts
I was possibly thinking it may be because of my right ball joint being worn. I'm having new lower control arms installed when I have the shocks and springs installed too.

·
3,734 Posts
This would be the best time to change those bushings. ;)

Joe
"Those bushings" meaning strut rod bushings? If so, who makes the best strut rod bushings that I can readily buy?

·
Super Moderator
4,941 Posts
Ford.

See the strut rod thread, a sticky in the "Suspension" subforum.

RwP

·
3,734 Posts
Ford.

See the strut rod thread, a sticky in the "Suspension" subforum.

RwP
Are they still available through Ford though?

·
Super Moderator
4,941 Posts
The bushings? As of a month ago, yes.

The FERRULES or the kits? No.

Now, DLF makes a stainless replacement ferrule if yours aren't in good enough shape. Or I can grab some from our local boneyards - amazing how good a shape they're in down here in the South :D

DLF's are the better choice, though.

RwP

·
3,734 Posts
The bushings? As of a month ago, yes.

The FERRULES or the kits? No.

Now, DLF makes a stainless replacement ferrule if yours aren't in good enough shape. Or I can grab some from our local boneyards - amazing how good a shape they're in down here in the South :D

DLF's are the better choice, though.

RwP
Hopefully mine are still decent. My car has always been here in the south...somewhat, if you can call where I live "the south". I'm blowing through some dough for this whole suspension revamp. I have shocks coming here on Halloween. I have a set of SC springs sitting in my living room at the moment. LCA's waiting in boxes. A brace here, a brace there, etc. Should be awesome when it's all done.

·
Super Moderator
4,941 Posts
Yah, I know that during the unCivil War, you were considered "Southern". From Louisiana, you're all look like a bunch of Northerners with your snow and your salt :diablo:

(It's the salt that makes the difference, I think.)

RwP

·
3,734 Posts
They lay a salt brine and/ or sand on the roads here, but it rarely snows here since I'm so close to the coast. I called up my local Ford dealership. The kit that comes with the ferrules is obsolete, but they can get it for me from a dealership out of state. The bushings, I can still get. The parts lady liked that I had all the part numbers, ready to go. That, in it self, must be a rare occurrence. lol

·
Super Moderator
4,941 Posts
Get the kit, but SAVE YOUR OLD FERRULES!

If you have the funds, I'd order a spare set of bushings, and pack them away for when you need them later (say, 20 years or so.)

RwP

·
3,734 Posts
Get the kit, but SAVE YOUR OLD FERRULES!

If you have the funds, I'd order a spare set of bushings, and pack them away for when you need them later (say, 20 years or so.)

RwP
I'm considering that. The bushings are not really all that expensive. I just wish I could buy two sets of everything else on the car. :D

·
Super Moderator
4,941 Posts
*nods* Now's not a bad time to do that if possible.

Part discontinuance is going to keep getting more and more common - witness the factory LCA bushings for a Mark VIII now!

RwP

·
3,734 Posts
Well, I got the bushings today. Didn't get the "kit" though. Was too expensive for me to take right now. I think I'll just get the ferrules from DLF if mine need to be replaced. I'm hoping my current ferrules are just fine.

·
Super Moderator
9,312 Posts
About time this article was copied here. :thumbsup: However it's 99-04 calipers/pads to get/look for, not just 99-01.

41 - 60 of 132 Posts