TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to start the car this morning with no success. The engine turns over without any firings.The pump runs and fuel sprays from the schraeder valve quite well. I pulled one plug wire from the coil,possitioned it over the terminal,and when cranking the engine,there's no spark. What are the possible problems? The ignition switch has never ever acted up, but could there be something there? How about the crank position sensor? Any other possibilities? thanks, edman

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,525 Posts
I'd check the crank sensor. It's by the a/c compressor; unhook the harness and plug it back in, it's possible the connection is just corroded/loose.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1997 no ignition.

My car's parked in front of my house along the curb, so I will have to jack it up pretty high to pull and reconnect the terminal,but I will do it by day's end. The engine has been leaking a little from the front seals for years, and there's a good coating of oil/grime over the lower end,including the sensor and terminal. Would a faulty sensor or bad connection set a code? Is this the only thing that would cause a lack of spark? If not, what else would? thanks , edman

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I pressure washed the crank sensor,now this. . .

I was going to crawl under and look at the sensor's connection,so I cleaned it first.Just for fun,I got in and tried starting it.It started right up.I drove around,and it re-started just fine too.This worked for seveal weeks until today! Now it cranks well,the tach does not move as it cranks,and it won't start (exactly as the original symptoms).In the last few days,I had to jiggle the key in the ignition before it would start.So now, yes I will pull the leads of the crank sensor,clean and inspect them,and re-attach too. But,if this does nothing,then is the ignition lock a source of no spark,even though it runs the starter? Or, is it just the T-bird Curse? By the way, three years ago, my "no-start" problem at that time was a multi-wire short in the actual under hood harness. It was corrected by separating them out, re-insulating them (three wires), and then carefully wrapping them away from the others.At that time,the fans would come on when the ignition switch was turned,but with a no start condition.Hand jiggling the harness with the key on would suddenly cause the starter to run and engine to fire.Your forum alerted me to possible harness shorts,which was repaired.And this cannot be "it" again?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts