TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
8,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So,

With record profits, exxon mobil has changed the formulation in mobil1 to include Group III basestocks in it.

What ticks me is that ExxonMobil condemmed Castrol for calling their Syntec product Synthetic motor oil because it had Group III in it, and there was a lawsuit involved, and Castrol actually won.

Now Exxon Mobil is basically doing the same thing to increase profits further.

If you want full synthetic, go with something that only uses PAO/Esters, which is no longer mobil1.

Amsoil/Redline/Royal Purple

I've had excellent results in my 98 f150 with 5w20 motorcraft oil (semi synthetic), and its under 2 bucks a quart. This oil would be appropriate for almost everyone on this forum with a 4.6L.

The car gets 10w30 royal purple this season.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
*sigh

damned oil companies

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
Greed..I shouldn't be suprised at all,but I guess I am a little after all of the crap they started with Castrol.
JL

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Interesting,Guess I should find a new oil.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Are you 100% sure about Mobil 1?

There are now TWO separate Mobil 1 formulation products. I thought one of them was still Group IV

This text is CURRENTLY on the Mobil 1 website

"Is Mobil 1 with SuperSyn Technology a fully synthetic motor oil?

Yes, it is. To meet the demanding requirements of today's specifications (and our customers' expectations), Mobil 1 with SuperSyn uses high-performance fluids, including polyalphaolefins (PAOs), along with a proprietary system of additives. Each Mobil 1 with SuperSyn viscosity grade uses a unique combination of synthetic fluids and selected additives in order to tailor the viscosity grade to its specific application."

·
8,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DScruggs said:
Are you 100% sure about Mobil 1?

There are now TWO separate Mobil 1 formulation products. I thought one of them was still Group IV

This text is CURRENTLY on the Mobil 1 website

"Is Mobil 1 with SuperSyn Technology a fully synthetic motor oil?

Yes, it is. To meet the demanding requirements of today's specifications (and our customers' expectations), Mobil 1 with SuperSyn uses high-performance fluids, including polyalphaolefins (PAOs), along with a proprietary system of additives. Each Mobil 1 with SuperSyn viscosity grade uses a unique combination of synthetic fluids and selected additives in order to tailor the viscosity grade to its specific application."
You can read your bobistheoilguy.com dude. I wouldn't post this if I wasn't sure.

·
8,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Great Obucina said:
the motorcraft ****......is it all semi-synthetic? i remember you said it was actually Conoco Clear-Blend.
The 5w20 and 5w30 motorcraft is conoco hydroclear semi synthetic.

Great bargain in oils.

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
JustinH said:
I've had excellent results in my 98 f150 with 5w20 motorcraft oil (semi synthetic), and its under 2 bucks a quart.
I, too, use Motorcraft synthetic in my turbo engine. It seems to hold up pretty well with mileage.
Why is it so much cheaper than the other stuff?
My logic is:
Motorcraft synthetic oil + Factory turbo Ford engine = Good idea.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts