TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this problem before. Or it is just a whole lot like the problem I had with my MAF sensor. Last time I took it off and cleaned it off and the car ran fine.
This time I looked at the MAF and ........ Damn that things clean.

The symptoms are much like the symptoms I had when the MAF was dirty.
Any Ideas .....

Also the Check engine light did not go on.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem occurs upon acceleration. The car seems as if it studders and stumbles. Once I find a speed to cruise at it seems as if there is no problem. but when I put any throttle into it, the car stumbles again. When I rev it in park the rpm's are jumpy. But I can hold it at an rpm and have it run smoothly.
These symptoms were much like the symptoms I had when the MAF on my car was dirty.
thanks

·
Registered
343 Posts
danman said:
The problem occurs upon acceleration. The car seems as if it studders and stumbles. Once I find a speed to cruise at it seems as if there is no problem. but when I put any throttle into it, the car stumbles again. When I rev it in park the rpm's are jumpy. But I can hold it at an rpm and have it run smoothly.
These symptoms were much like the symptoms I had when the MAF on my car was dirty.
thanks

Have you changed plug wires or plugs recently?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My baby just threw the check engine light on.
I'm pretty excited about it.
Now I can just run my codes. Also, just by sheer probability I am currently ruling out the unmonitered parts of my engine such as wires and plugs and such.
I will keep all of you posted about what happens.

P.S. I kinda hope that it is the MAF. If this were the case I would go bigger than stock now and worry about the computer burn later. That would just nock one thing off of my list of things I want to do.

Thanks for all of your help.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
danman said:

P.S. I kinda hope that it is the MAF. If this were the case I would go bigger than stock now and worry about the computer burn later. That would just nock one thing off of my list of things I want to do.

Thanks for all of your help.
If you install the bigger (uncalibrated) MAF before a chip to calibrate the EEC to the new MAF your car will barely run, and may detonate upon acceleration. Just wait till you can do both!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just ran the codes.
I got code 0307....Misfire detected in the 7th cylinder.

The troubleshooting guide said that this means a cam position sensor.

i ordered the cam position sensor for $11.65 and I will probably do the plugs and wires while I am at it.

Lets hope this fixes the problem. I'm pretty sure it will.
OBD II...dont let me down
thanks, I'll keep you posted.
ps. Thanks for the advice about the MAF

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well......I replaced the cam position sensor today and........nothing. At this point I am becomming frustrated.
I then replaced the plugs.....nothing.
I have the wires on order for tomarrow.

The 7th cylinder plug looked fine so I think I can rule out a head gasket or oil blowby causing the misfire.

If I had a wire tester I would chech the ohms...but I dont.
I really hope that it is the wire.
I only have two other Ideas.
1. the coil pack is bad
2. the cam pickup is not triggering the cam position sensor correctly.

Has anyone ever heard of a Cam trigger pickup not responding to the cam position sensor.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Suggestion

I am thinking if it was a bad coil pack then you would also have #4 ignition miss fire as well #7 . #4 & #7 share the same coil as well as trigger wire # 97 T/LG and 12volt start/run wire #16 R/LG. I would replace the #7 ignition wire and/or plug first.
Also make sure the wire cap on #7 ignition wire is on tight at the coil and the plug and that there is no corrosion at the #7 coil tower receptical. Resistance values between coil towers 4/7, 2/8, 1/6, and 3/5 should be approx 14.20K+/-20 ohms cold
and 16.25K+/-25 hot approx. Resistance between at pins 1T/LG, 2R/LG, 3T/LB should be 0.5 to 1.0 ohms.

Hope this helps

Chris..................

danman said:
well......I replaced the cam position sensor today and........nothing. At this point I am becomming frustrated.
I then replaced the plugs.....nothing.
I have the wires on order for tomarrow.

The 7th cylinder plug looked fine so I think I can rule out a head gasket or oil blowby causing the misfire.

If I had a wire tester I would chech the ohms...but I dont.
I really hope that it is the wire.
I only have two other Ideas.
1. the coil pack is bad
2. the cam pickup is not triggering the cam position sensor correctly.

Has anyone ever heard of a Cam trigger pickup not responding to the cam position sensor.
Thanks in advance.
T LG T R LB

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Success!!!
It was the spark plug wire.
After a closer look I saw that they said Motorsport.
They were most likely original equipment.
I am about as happy as a pig in **** that I found the problem and that it was relatively inexpensive.
I replaced all of the wires for $75 bucks.
Thanks for all your help guys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts