TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was out of town this weekend and left my car home in Kentucky. Well, we got some serious storms (6-8 inches and a lot of wind). Well when I got back tonight there was trash all over the drivers side of my car, my rear wheel has trash all the way up to the bead. I checked everthing under the hood and under the car, I can't drive it til I get pics some of that trash dented my car at the bottom crease pretty good. I started it and a few gallons of water shot out the back (I have strait pipes back there no mufflers) and it ran fine once all that happened.

Now for the concern: What should I do inside the car to keep rust and stuff from developing under the carpet. Most of the water has evaporated but it is still wet (no puddles). As for the dent, can that part of the car recieve paintless dent removal??? Its slightly below the crease and the dent itself is almost a perfect circle.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
for that carpet, remove it. Mold has already settled in there. If the seats were affected think about replacing the padding and such. This is a problem that Katrina victims are experiencing with thier cars. Mold isn't good for the body, it will make you sick.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah there was/still is water under it. I took the plugs under the car out ( I was actually missing one) and water came out. I drove it around the block and water poured out of the tailpipes for the first 100 yards or so and when I stopped water was comming out of the holes where those plugs were. I dried everything as best I could, including forcing a towel inside those holes, still wet there. I won't have time at all this week to even consider removing anything else. The door are open right now letting the sun and wind in.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well. The car is 90% or more dry. I will most likely remove some if not all the carpet this weekend. One more thing I heard was that if water is ever above you lug nuts then you must change out the rear end fluid. Is this true? They (actual mechanics) said that there is a hole in the top to allow pressure out of the diff. Any clue on this?

I have put pics of this disater on my cardomain site. Its all on page two.

·
Registered
49 Posts
From my experience four wheeling in FL, I would definitely change the rear end fluid. Depending how long your bird sat in water, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to change the oil to. As we all know, water and oil don't mix. Those are the minimums we would do after wheeling, but KY doesn't have all that sand and stuff, so I would't worry to much about wheel bearings or anything. Good Luck with the clean up. MAC

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
You really need to get the carpet out. That pad under the carpet is thick and will take forever to dry and you will get a good case of mold growing in there.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, Im not going to remove anything. My insurance came through and are going to cover it. They said they are going to call Monday to let me know what to do. I don't see this totalling the car but it does suck that I have to go without the car for a few weeks again. State Farm is awesome.

·
Administrator
8,032 Posts
lightevergreenfrost said:
I don't see this totalling the car but it does suck that I have to go without the car for a few weeks again.
Do you rental coverage on your insurance?

Joe

1 - 12 of 12 Posts