TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and right now I am bubbling red...

I live in an apartment with the most anal managers.

My plate was expired for only a couple of weeks because I don't drive it right now (massive trans & oil leaks).

I came home tonight just to see the spot where my baby once sat now empty. Managers never even put a notice on it.

It sits at a tow yard 10~ miles from my place and at this point, it's going to cost me $250 just to get it out. I"m not even sure what to do since it's not drive-able right now (no insurance) and cost of towing it back.

My main car is the Mark VIII that I just got a few months ago but my heart has a bigger place for the TBird that has helped me out through the tough times a couple of years ago, especially when I was forced to sleep in my car for about 2 months being unemployed and just going to school.

I really wanted to replace the engine/trans to bring it back to life but this is not helping me any and I am having second thoughts of just letting it go.

What do you guys say?

·
Registered
16 Posts
towed !

im from bradenton fl . we lived in an apt community there and ive seen alot of cars get towed like that! those property managers are mostly jerks and if your not their friend , your towed when the opportunity is arises! thats why i will never rent an apt agian.
GIVE THEM HE((

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Is there something in your lease about current tags? I don't think having an expired tag is illegal if it is parked on private property and not being driven.

You might try to cut a deal with the tow company on the tow back. $250 seems steep for a 10 mile tow and storage for how ever days it has been. I imagine the longer you leave it there the more it is going to cost to get it out.

That is why I bought a house when I was 25. I hate a** holes telling me what I can and can't do at an apartment. I also like keeping my stuff in a garage with a dog that can get to my back yard.

Good luck. :mad:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rainman, I am actually living in south Bradenton right now. Just never updated my location.

Honestly, once my lease is up (I am renting a condo from its owner), I'm going to look real hard for a house to either rent or buy. I too am tired of HOA BS that goes on around here.

There's almost no negotiating with tow companies when they know they've got you where they want you. I'm sure it will cost at least $300 to get it towed back here to my apt. Figure in another $73 to renew the plate and re-add the car to my insurance.

Oh brother...

·
Registered
16 Posts
yeah! that sounds like a good idea. rent from an individual.but with condo's you have to watch the all the fine print rules!! you would be very surprised at whats in the fine print that you dont read when signing a lease. a lot of condo associations limit things such as age of vehicles, no motorcyles with loud pipes, no outdoor drinking or bbq's!

but , get to know the owner ,that will tell you a bunch .

i lived in the colony at el conquistador off of cortez and 36th! it was nice but the rent went up $300.00 in 2 years. i miss being able to hop in the car and go to the beach when i want to. the pier on the end of anna maria island is nice at nite, good fishing sometimes! do you ever get out to bradenton motorsports park for the drags?

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
do this......make an Anonymous call, to the same tow company, tell them you are the landlord, and have their car towed.......they won't like that very much...but who cares! Once they have to pay the same bill you will, they might think twice about doing that to someone again.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Just a couple of questions:
1. What does you lease agreement say about vehicles/parking spaces/etc.?
2. Were you aware of the particulars of the lease in regards to vehicles when you signed the agreement?
3. Do you have to drive the car to get new tags? (In AL, you can renew via mail or taking the notices to the DMV)
4. What procedure does the state have if a vehicle is not running, but needs to be renewed?

I suspect I know a couple of the answers, but I don't want to assume. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
do this......make an Anonymous call, to the same tow company, tell them you are the landlord, and have their car towed.......they won't like that very much...but who cares! Once they have to pay the same bill you will, they might think twice about doing that to someone again.
Won't work. You have to sign the tow form and more than likely, they know the owners...BUT...its worth a shot.

SWS

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
What if you pull their plates?

You should live somewhere like Montana where you can get permanent plates on cars 11 years old or more. Have permanent plates on my Celica, cost $160, +$5 for temp tag, +$40 for custom plate design. Around $60 per year for cars 11 years old or older. So if you have it 3 years or more, worth it for permanents. No fee if you don't pay on time, just have to pay up to date.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I ended up paying $366 to get the car out and putting it in storage.

What a way to burn someone out of most of their paycheck.

Anyway, I am able to breath again knowing it's not sitting in some gravel pit surrounded by real rusty & neglected POS's. If the car didn't have a bad oil/trans leak, I'd bring it back to my apt.

ben, that sounds nice but I don't think I could ever leave FL. It's my home!

dusty, I'm actually renting the condo from its owner so I just never read the actual association rules but I checked the association's website and didn't see much regarding parked vehicles except for "must not work on vehicles" part which I avoid. After this little lease is up, I am renting out a house or condo with a built in garage. I just have no place to work on my cars right now!

rainman, I haven't had a chance to hit that drag strip yet. I've been in the area for just a few months. That fishing pier you speak of sounds really inviting though.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Well, I ended up paying $366 to get the car out and putting it in storage.

What a way to burn someone out of most of their paycheck.

Anyway, I am able to breath again knowing it's not sitting in some gravel pit surrounded by real rusty & neglected POS's. If the car didn't have a bad oil/trans leak, I'd bring it back to my apt.

ben, that sounds nice but I don't think I could ever leave FL. It's my home!

dusty, I'm actually renting the condo from its owner so I just never read the actual association rules but I checked the association's website and didn't see much regarding parked vehicles except for "must not work on vehicles" part which I avoid. After this little lease is up, I am renting out a house or condo with a built in garage. I just have no place to work on my cars right now!

rainman, I haven't had a chance to hit that drag strip yet. I've been in the area for just a few months. That fishing pier you speak of sounds really inviting though.
Must not work on cars? How are you supposed to fix them then...

·
Registered
2,028 Posts

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
If I only have enough money to rent where I live, how in the hell am I supposed to pay someone $90/hr to do something I can do myself for free... :tongue:
When you sign a Contract to live somewhere that Prohibits you from working on vehicles on Their property ... you need to go somewhere else. You can go change your own oil in the Burger King parking lot for all I care - doesnt mean you have to pay somebody, you just cant work on cars in an apartment complex. Youre not allowed to work on your car in front of the auto parts store either, doesnt stop people from doing it everyday ( It also helps, because they dont LIVE there also )

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
In post 12 of the thread...the pic that the guy says is a t-bird irs, is definitely not. Yeah I know these cars cant compare technologically to the newer cars, but they are cheap, look good and are fun to drive :) I am proud to have had a few through the years. The last two are my favorites though!

OMG: what are those upper rear arms in post 15?
Haha you meant to post in this thread:

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=136839

When you sign a Contract to live somewhere that Prohibits you from working on vehicles on Their property ... you need to go somewhere else. You can go change your own oil in the Burger King parking lot for all I care - doesnt mean you have to pay somebody, you just cant work on cars in an apartment complex. Youre not allowed to work on your car in front of the auto parts store either, doesnt stop people from doing it everyday ( It also helps, because they dont LIVE there also )
Yeah I would never move into a place like that. I checked the lease of the place I am at now, and it doesn't say anything about car maintenance or repair.

If my lease said something about car repair, I would still do maintenance services in the parking lot like oil changes. Screw them, if they get angry at me I'll just tell them its maintenance and repair. Its like an HOA that doesnt let me get rid of my lawn... I'm not getting rid of my lawn, just mowing it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts