TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i will be driving like 30-35 mph and my car will start humming, not like a a wheel bearing hum because its not coming from the front end. im thinking i need to change my fuel filter because it hasnt been changed since i bought it in 2004 and the noise isnt there all the time, its very random

and i also have a high-pitched noise coming from the front of my motor its sounds like its coming from the serpentine belt, but it dosent make that famous squeeky belt noise, and it only does it at idle.

any ideas?

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
The squeak could be either the tensioner pulley, or the idler pulley. As far as the humming sound, I have no idea, lol.. Can you tell where the humming is coming from at all, besides not in the front end?

Jay

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The squeak could be either the tensioner pulley, or the idler pulley. As far as the humming sound, I have no idea, lol.. Can you tell where the humming is coming from at all, besides not in the front end?

Jay
umm i remember when i flushed my coolant, i filled the resiovior (sp) with coolant and then started it and when i started, it made that humming sound until the coolant started flowing again maybe that has something to do with it?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
lose/ bad water pump?

just had that happen to me... Didnt hum tho, it squealed like a dieing cat when the car got up to temp and the thermostat opened.

~MG~

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
i will be driving like 30-35 mph and my car will start humming, not like a a wheel bearing hum because its not coming from the front end. im thinking i need to change my fuel filter because it hasnt been changed since i bought it in 2004 and the noise isnt there all the time, its very random

and i also have a high-pitched noise coming from the front of my motor its sounds like its coming from the serpentine belt, but it dosent make that famous squeeky belt noise, and it only does it at idle.

any ideas?
Is the hum associated with an almost unnoticable vibration? If so, I vote that the transmission output shaft extension housing is loose and the hum and vibration are associated with the drive shaft yoke rubbing the extension housing bearing.

If there is quite a noticeable vibration, then I would guess that the hum could be a failing u-joint.

Your high pitched engine noise is definately the idler and/or tension pulley(s). They are only about $15 a piece and are the same pulley. I find that it is good maintenance to replace them every few years. If they are making this noise, then be careful not to loose the belt. Check that the belt is not starting to fray on the inside or outside edge of the belt. If it is, then make sure to replace the belt with the pulley(s).

HTH

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is the hum associated with an almost unnoticable vibration? If so, I vote that the transmission output shaft extension housing is loose and the hum and vibration are associated with the drive shaft yoke rubbing the extension housing bearing.

If there is quite a noticeable vibration, then I would guess that the hum could be a failing u-joint.

Your high pitched engine noise is definately the idler and/or tension pulley(s). They are only about $15 a piece and are the same pulley. I find that it is good maintenance to replace them every few years. If they are making this noise, then be careful not to loose the belt. Check that the belt is not starting to fray on the inside or outside edge of the belt. If it is, then make sure to replace the belt with the pulley(s).

HTH

no i dont get a vibration its just a hum it will do it for about 2-4 seconds then quit

·
Super Moderator
10,578 Posts
My IAC made noises kinda like that on its way out; One morning in the driveway, it sounded like a pipe organ for a few minutes...

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
That hum at 30-35 is probably gear reasonance from the rear diff.

Pete

·
Registered
291 Posts
Could be seperator plate in trans. Mine did that a long long time ago stealership replaced sep plate. problem went away. also check cats heatshields, exhaust hangers, and a brake caliper thats hanging up

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok it did it again about 3 times when i was driving today, and its coming from under the hood

the third time i got lucky and pulled over popped the hood and listened and its coming from the right of the motor, im gonna give it another coolant flush, because it takes like 7 minutes for me to get heat maybe that has something to do with it?

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
That sound under the hood is most likely the tensioner pulley or the idler pulley. Both take about 15 minutes to replace for $30.

Pete

1 - 12 of 12 Posts