TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,
first,merry Christmas and happy new year! i have a 95 tbird 4.6 lx....it starts fine,as its warming up the idle drops way down and when i press the gas it acts like its going to die.....i was told when i had my oil changed last the gas filter was very dirty.....think thats the problem? it has 236000 miles on it(no rebuild yet!)
thank you!

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
if you havent already done so, take care of any regular maintenance items first before you try to diagnose any issues....we can bicker back and forth all day long about what could be the problem....but fact is, it could be anything that you haven't kept an eye on that is related to air and/or fuel and/or spark.......and since you know the fuel filter is old and haven't already changed it, that tells us that the car may be neglected.......get back to us after you do everything you can and know how to do

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
time for a long over due tune up, fuel filter, spark plugs, spark plug wires, clean the mass airflow sensor, clean the IAC, change all of the fluids, reset the pcm, seafoam the top end, and report back if the problem persists.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well.....

i can say i have changed the oil every 3k miles :) except of course when ive been deployed but have done that when i got back:) ill do all the above and get back with ya'll:)

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
oh jesus you have a menagerie of lemons. A Fiat X1/9? And a 280ZX-T. I envy you for the ZX-T, I had a NA 280ZX that I loved to death...

Anyways dude change the fuel filter, replace the plugs, plug wires, run a good bit of fuel system cleaner (like berryman's chemtool) and try running SeaFoam through the intake.

Also, check to see whether or not your oil level is overfull... I accidentally overfilled my oil level and the car did that until it burned off the oil (this was my PREVIOUS tbird) and make sure you are using the correct viscocity... There are so many things that could be causing bog like you're talking about

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol

yes i do have a menagerie of lemons...yuk yuk...actually i sold the x,still have the z...that thing has waaay too much torque for me to get rid of it! but im happy with my tbird and stangs:)
changing the fuel filter tomorrow gonna try that first

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
okay......fuel filter replaced.....

and the car is running rough....now what? i checked the spark plugs...ok...now what to check?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
To clean the MAF, buy a can of MAF cleaner at the auto parts store. [blink]DO NOT CLEAN THE MAF WITH A Q-TIP[/blink], you'll break it.

Remove the MAF, spray the little filament with MAF cleaner, and then disconnect the battery. Try to start the car with the battery disconnected, just to be sure you've TOTALLY drained the system of current. After letting it sit for 30 seconds, reconnect the battery and restart. Idle will be rough but will stabilize after the CPU relearns idle.

So, you checked the plugs-- obviously they were THERE, lol, but how did they look? Did you replace them? Are they properly gapped?

Did you replace the fuel filter? Change it.

In addition, check the car for vac leaks. Do you have any CEL (check engine light) codes?

Some CEL data would be HUGELY informative and give us a better idea of how to help. Autozone will usually read your codes for free if you ask nicely.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
update....

checked spark plugs,looked good even though they had been in the car for 5 years....bought a new set of motorcraft and put them in....still idles up then dies....gas filter is replaced....now im clueless....lol

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ill check the maf today:)

havent checked the maf yet and am trying to figure out all these vacuum lines...lol

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
update.....

at the risk of sounding dumb,i see things like "reset the pcm" what does that mean? and aif what is that?
thanks

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
now i feel really dumb....

it was a main vacuum hose the runs down the passenger side was split down the middle......i heard the hiss,took forever to find it...and now my car is running gr8 again:)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
how do you get the maf sensor screws out?

To clean the MAF, buy a can of MAF cleaner at the auto parts store. [blink]DO NOT CLEAN THE MAF WITH A Q-TIP[/blink], you'll break it.

Remove the MAF, spray the little filament with MAF cleaner, and then disconnect the battery. Try to start the car with the battery disconnected, just to be sure you've TOTALLY drained the system of current. After letting it sit for 30 seconds, reconnect the battery and restart. Idle will be rough but will stabilize after the CPU relearns idle.

So, you checked the plugs-- obviously they were THERE, lol, but how did they look? Did you replace them? Are they properly gapped?

Did you replace the fuel filter? Change it.

In addition, check the car for vac leaks. Do you have any CEL (check engine light) codes?

Some CEL data would be HUGELY informative and give us a better idea of how to help. Autozone will usually read your codes for free if you ask nicely.
i have the star bits but thery so not have a hole in the middle for that nipple sticking up on the screws...

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts