TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They say they will let me keep the car, and cut me a check for 2000-3200 depending on the "street value":D . My sons and wife are crushed..."DDYs Car" They hepled me do everything to that car even wax and changing a tire. The last five fathers days gifts for that car, the three of them bought me the brake kit for the fathers day last year. the coba radiator for my birth day. Infact my youngest is laying on the ground crying about, "NO SELL DDY CAR". My wife tells me that with the money we get from the insurance we can buy a 97...Oh well it better than nothing...If I part it out...anyone want anything? Not the mods they are going on the new T-BIRD..

·
5,650 Posts
I was gonna say "KEEP THE MODS!!!" but you already said that. Another bird being let go...:bawling: Mine got "totalled" (I put it in quotes because I highly disagree with the insurance companies' definition of the word) last year but I stuck with it. I don't care if the car has undergone major repairs and is now "worthless" for resale. I'm not going to sell it!!

BTW, if you are going to part it out, can I get dibs on the cluster surround panel??? :D As long as it's black, that is.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just want another V- 8 T-Bird...I don't care if it is a 89-97..This one has a bunch of sentemental value. We drove to our honey moon in that car. All of my kids (except the oldest )were brough home from the hospital in that car. I know its a bunch of emotional attachment to an inantamate object but it still suck! Yes, master 486, you can get the cluster if get rid of the car..Or rather part it out...

·
Registered
811 Posts
I know what you are talking about. When I had my 95 (for 6 years).... proposed to my wife in it, brought my kids home, lots of other great stuff..... :D

When she was tottaled last December I was devistated, my son who is 5 took it a hell of a lot worse. "I can't believe you wrecked your race car daddy". The fact of the matter is that these cars have no real value, so if you want to fix it up.....do it rebuilt or not the value it what it is. I say this because I was looking at the same situation, I bought the car back took all of the goodies off and bought a 96 with the $$ from the insurance co. Best of luck man, I ended up getting a 96 due to the interior (cluster and center console) was the same as my 95 better engine and other stuff. There is some down falls with the 96-7, they skipped out on some little things and I think the font ends are just ugly. I digress....

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
this is what I found...1996 V-8 LX 76,000 miles perfedt interior/exterior, after market posi, new tranny for 2995, hi blue book. Garaged hole life, older retired couple...

·
Registered
811 Posts
funderbird said:
this is what I found...1996 V-8 LX 76,000 miles perfedt interior/exterior, after market posi, new tranny for 2995, hi blue book. Garaged hole life, older retired couple...
Sounds great, what is the high KBB? Do it and replace the front end with your 95's ;)

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I feel your pain. My wife wrecked our 95 almost 2 years ago now and I still have a few things to do before I put it back on the road. We decided to buy it back and fix it up. I know it's got the crappy 95 motor, but once the valve seals go bad enough I'm gonna work the Explorer swap in as the fix :D

If you're really attached to the car then I say fix it up. I've seen many people get rid of their cars only to wish they had kept them a few years later. I won't be one of those people. Sure, it has no monetary value now, but in a few years I would figure that most of these cars won't hold much value anyway so I'll just keep what I have and go from there. Although that 96 you listed sounds mighty tempting...

Just my .02

Jay

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
Funderbird, how much you looking to spend?

-Joel

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On what? A new ride? I guess, 2900 cuz that is what I am all ready promised to do with this guy Paul. This T-Bird I am going to buy is the nicest stock 96 I have ever seen. The interior is cloth grey and the back seats have never been sat on. Or at least that is what it looks like. It does not even have the strech marks that used seats have. The car has no evidance of even smoking or even a passenger. he is a vietname vet that bought the car new. He drove it for 76,000 miles and put a 99 style tranny in and auburn positrac. Hes has the new style intake and TB i think. I am in love with this car. My kids want to call it the Pheonix after the bird from ashes....

·
Registered
663 Posts
96 is the best of all the LXs. You get the complete guage package along with the better 96-97 tranny, intake, and heads. Might as well look at a PI intake and cam conversion now.

Good luck with the new car. Sounds like a wise decision.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yup, 96-97 it is all the same, I think that there are really just two models the 94-95 and 96-97. So, I am curious if anyone has a Pic of a stock 96. The TB on this motor looks differant than anyone I ever remember seeing. Maybe the lettering on the throttle body is just throwing my off. My 95 is the little one. Plus, this car doesn't have the stock black plastic violin case that my 95 has...

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
What's the damage look like? You might be able to get parts on here and fix it for less than what the insurance company will give you for it.

·
Sweet T
3,452 Posts
funderbird said:
They say they will let me keep the car, and cut me a check for 2000-3200 depending on the "street value":D . My sons and wife are crushed..."DDYs Car" They hepled me do everything to that car even wax and changing a tire. The last five fathers days gifts for that car, the three of them bought me the brake kit for the fathers day last year. the coba radiator for my birth day. Infact my youngest is laying on the ground crying about, "NO SELL DDY CAR". My wife tells me that with the money we get from the insurance we can buy a 97...Oh well it better than nothing...If I part it out...anyone want anything? Not the mods they are going on the new T-BIRD..

Hey man. I'm sorry to hear about the car :/ It sucks when the something like that happens. I had a really hard time trying to decide what I was going to do with the LX. I feel your pain...

But.... what color interior do you have? ^_^

·
Super Moderator
10,576 Posts
My black Cougar got totalled out.

I bought it from the insurance co, for $600 , was quoted $7000 for the repair. Ins paid ~$6k (in '93)

Bought the red one after numerous test drives of lame cars. For $2900, at 129k mi , with shot brakes and shocks. $300 later, red car is like new. Toasted rear end and driveshaft driving too fast, too long, and have new both.

Spent $2000 on the black one replacing the rear corner (mechanically - whole suspension on that side), having the frame rebent to original shape, and hammering the body damage out. (great workout, BTW)

No cutting torches were used in the restoration, just moving metal back where it belonged. I still have some fine work yet to do, but it is down to the $1000 range...

The black one still has all the interior/trunk linings out of it, currently... It drives like a lean machine compared to the red one, but the red one has +60k miles over the black one, too. There must be 300 pounds of materials there... Of course there is more road noise, but the difference is noticeable, and moves the center of the car...

What kind of damage did you get? That goes a long way in deciding to keep it; mine was mostly concentrated to one corner; yours could be entirely different. If you think you can fix it, do it! If you would have to pay somebody, it might not be worth it...

These days, airbags and glass damage is enough for the insurance co to total it, depending on blue book and such.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
funderbird said:
The TB on this motor looks differant than anyone I ever remember seeing. Maybe the lettering on the throttle body is just throwing my off. My 95 is the little one. Plus, this car doesn't have the stock black plastic violin case that my 95 has...
That sounds right.

It looks like <a href="http://www.culverbrothersracing.com/home/valweb4.jpg">this</a>.... yeah don't we wish. Actually <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Thunderbird-1996-FORD-THUNDERBIRD-LX_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6240QQihZ010QQitemZ200019145814QQrdZ1">this</a> is what you should see, the thing with the 4.6 SOHC is the plenum, the TB is just the part between that and the intake tube.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have green lether interior...The new one has that cloth grey stuff. The new t-bird is slower than my 95 off the start but the upper power band really sinks you back in to the seat at about 50...Anyway what do you all need?

·
Sweet T
3,452 Posts
funderbird said:
I have green lether interior...The new one has that cloth grey stuff. The new t-bird is slower than my 95 off the start but the upper power band really sinks you back in to the seat at about 50...Anyway what do you all need?

Ah.. I was hoping you might have had the grey door panels and rear speaker covers. ^_^

1 - 20 of 21 Posts