TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replace my rear sway bar endlinks a couple years ago and the bushing from my passenger side is already shot. Is this a symptom of something else that needs to be replaced? like springs or something? Should I just replace the endlink and hope it doesn't happen again?

Seth

·
Registered
623 Posts
Its not an indication of other problems. Sometimes things fail before they should, especially if it was a cheaper parts store replacement. I actually snapped a napa 'premium' link at the weld awhile back (lasted 2 months). I just replaced it and it has been fine. If I break another I'll probably get the shorter links I 'should' have anyway. If I were you I'd just replace it or just the bushings if the lower ones were the ones at fault.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I have the same issue as you. I used a cheap brand and the rubber is already shot. I have some new ones that I am about to put on. I bought the cheap ones again as these are very easy to replace.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Are the replacements you're using a solid bolt with no "pivot" in them like the stock units? I've replaced the stock units with shorter aftermarket units (my car is lowered) and the new ones don't have the pivots. When the car is jacked up in the back and the rear suspension is fully extended, the bolts are forced to bend. I haven't had any problems with them, but it does look bad. On the plus side, its really just a bolt with bushings, spacers, washers and a nut. I can probably buy a new grade 8 bolt of the right size and length and still use all the other hardware.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Don't overtighten them either as this will cause them to break early (I found out this the hard way after breaking two sets on my old Linc.) They just need to be snugged to about 10 lb-ft...

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I have accelerated rear link wear. My links are the ones that have a "pivot" point (with bushing) at the top, stud on bottom. Looks like I can remove the eye that it pivots in, and install a regular bolt+poly bushing one. How long do those things last? Right now I have home-made bronze rear swaybay link bushings, they work but I can tell are wearing out on visual inspection. So whats the deal with the long bolt end links?
-Rob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts