TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 Tbird that has about 130,000 miles(a lil more) and when I drive it wobbles pretty badly. I had this problem before and it was the tires. I had the tires checked out and they came back fine. I replaced a bunch of stuff since ive owned the car, like the rack-n-pin, and about $200 worth of parts in the front suspension. Any ideas what it might be. Also in the opion of everyone, is it worth soup'n up a 94 bird with so many miles or am I better to go with a 95 with less than 70,xxx miles? Like the one that is for sale for 5,000. Please HELP!!! ASAP!

·
Astrophysicist / PostWhore
2,028 Posts
KrAzyT said:
I have a 94 Tbird that has about 130,000 miles(a lil more) and when I drive it wobbles pretty badly. I had this problem before and it was the tires. I had the tires checked out and they came back fine. I replaced a bunch of stuff since ive owned the car, like the rack-n-pin, and about $200 worth of parts in the front suspension. Any ideas what it might be. Also in the opion of everyone, is it worth soup'n up a 94 bird with so many miles or am I better to go with a 95 with less than 70,xxx miles? Like the one that is for sale for 5,000. Please HELP!!! ASAP!
Hello

You say you've replaced about $200 worth of parts in the front suspension. Have you replaced anything in the rear yet? How old are your springs? How old are your shocks.

By wobble, do you mean a side to side motion while you drive, or an excessive up and down motion as you drive? I know there are people that have birdies that have mileage like that w/ no problems, so I'm wondering if it's something in the back...depending on your description of the wobble...

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
KrAzyT said:
Also in the opion of everyone, is it worth soup'n up a 94 bird with so many miles or am I better to go with a 95 with less than 70,xxx miles? Like the one that is for sale for 5,000. Please HELP!!! ASAP!
If you are going to buy a new one, go for 96 or 97. There would really be no point in switching from a 94 to a 95. I believe Johnny L has close to 190,000 on his highly modified engine.. These things can go past 200,000.. You've just now got it broke in! ;)

·
Registered
488 Posts
well if it wobbles when you are braking then your front rotors are warped and need replacing or turning over. if it just wobbles all the time then i dont know. sorry:(

·
Registered
344 Posts
ummm...

have u ever tried an allignment? that helped mine until the rotors and pads went bad. so yea when they go bad i found out that you should change them soon and not drive 100+ trying to get to work on time and slam on the brakes when u get to a red light. yae they caught on fire today on the way to work! no damage to body and i can still stop. so i have to wait until i can get some more money to replace the rotors and pads.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Re: ummm...

96TBird said:
have u ever tried an allignment? that helped mine until the rotors and pads went bad. so yea when they go bad i found out that you should change them soon and not drive 100+ trying to get to work on time and slam on the brakes when u get to a red light. yae they caught on fire today on the way to work! no damage to body and i can still stop. so i have to wait until i can get some more money to replace the rotors and pads.
Wait... your brakes.... caught on fire?

And how would brakes cause shimmy when driving... wouldn't it only do it under braking?

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I have had probally 4 alligments within the last 6 months. I think the rotors might be bad, I know they warp quickly. Is there any way to check and see if they are bad? I probally could tell by just looking at them. I'll post later I g2g!

·
Registered
344 Posts
yea...

they caught on fire. i was sitting at a stop light and noticed smoke coming from the front drivers side corner of the car. so i roll dont the window ant theres smoke coming from the wheel. so i get out and there are a couple small flames trickling up on the inside of the wheel. i have no idea how the hell they caught on fire cause i didnt think it was possible but they did! only saw one other car in my life whose brakes caught on fire and it was on a trailor that had a brake stick as he drove halfway from athens to atlanta.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Brakes and wobbling

Your brakes can cause "wobbling" even if they're not being used. this situation can occur when (1) caliper piston "sticks"; or (2) the brake line has partially collapsed.

of copurse other things can cause wobble as well. upper/lower control arms and bushings to readily to mind.

as far as "souping-up" a '94 or replacce with a '95...the earlier advice is sound: don't do weither, and get either a '95 SC or a '97LX.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Re: Brakes and wobbling

birdofprey said:
and get either a '95 SC or a '97LX.
I'd say a 96 Sport, get the little bit of extra torque and the updated parts without losing lights and getting Taurus gauges.

Newer != Better, Example: New Edge Cougar.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Sport vs. LX

Other than the beefed up suspension and 16" wheels, what else is the difference an LX and a Sport?
Anyone.........anyone...........Beuhler

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Better brakes, hence the need for bigger wheels. :)

Spoiler was optional on both so I don't count that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts