TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as the title says. my car is having a problem when i go to start it, everything works the fuel pump goes but just nothng happens when i turn the key all the way. i dont have a multimeter so i can't see if its the battery, but i dont thnk it can be that because everything in my car can work, even my stereo system. im just lost and fed up with my car :mad:

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Do you hear any clicks or anything? If the battery is good, it's probably the starter / solenoid combo that's gone bad. Also, check your fuses and everything pertaining to the starter.

Pete

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I second that it may be the solenoid. U can hit it and it might help for a short time and if u really need to get somewhere u can jump it with a screwdriver.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
razzibird said:
is the selenoid clicking or even making noise?
not at all. when i turn the key all the way the only thing that happens is the volt meter drops quite a bit, and things dim a little bit. im hopein on my battery, checkin that out tomorrow

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
sounds like the solenoid. . . . .I would hit it with a rubber mallet and see if it works after that. If so, then it is the solenoid/starter. => Replace starter.

·
Super Moderator
10,674 Posts
You should be able to start it with a screwdriver...

Turn the key on, while on jackstands, and short the solenoid wire to the main hot wire with a screwdriver... I used to start my old tbird like that for a while, while I was a broke high school student...

If it will start, you have a problem with the main key switch; its on the lower part of the steering column, as I recall.

You can add a bypass switch into the harness, and wait untill something else goes out; it makes it more theftproof...only you know where the starter is.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Don't make the same mistake I did. Check the ignition switch FIRST. It's a $17 part that takes 10 min. to change. Mine was heavily worn and burnt from arcing when I dissected it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i think i found out my problem, i guess in the engine swap the guys that did it didnt connect the passenger side ground. i can see it its hanging like right below the ac pully still attached to the block, i had my brother hold it to the k-member and i tryhed starting it but still the same old thing happened. Is there a new place i can make up a passenger side ground?

·
Registered
255 Posts
looks like the battery is dead... anyone wanna bet??? :p

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
its not the battery i hooked up a pair of jumpers today to a friends car. im placing my bet on the igniton start switch I HOPE. im gonna jack it up tomorrow and try jumping the 2 posts on the starter if it cranks it should be the switch then, right?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Go for it. Just remeber play it safe

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
No, the solenoid could still be bad. All this does is short across the solenoid taking it out of the circuit.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
woww im really ****t now, i did the jump thing and the engine started up! i didn't have a belt on and rad hoses conencted so i quickly shut it off. i hook up everything and go to jump the 2 posts agin and the frigin thing sounds like its not engaging the starter motor is just spinnin its *** off. what the hell do i do now? im about to call the junkers and take the 1100$ hit

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
If it sounds like the starter is just spinning, then the starter is definately bad. . . .this is the bendix (sp?) being bad. Replace the starter and you should be good to go! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
BTW. . .it sounds like the solenoid may not have been the complete problem with the starter. . . .

1 - 20 of 25 Posts