TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so frustrated with my car right now. My car has trouble starting and I can't figure out why it's not starting.

I have read about the other cars and the problems that they have not starting. I have checked and cleaned the wires. That provided a temporary fix for about 3 weeks. Then it's back to square one.

It was suggested to me to check my relay(s).
How can you tell if it is a relay problem, or which relay for that matter?
How many relays do we have that relates to starting the car anyways?

anyone have any ideas on what to do?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Something to check might be your crank position sensor. The sensor senses the engine's revolutions and tells the ignition when to fire. When the sensor goes bad, the engine will crank anc crank until the battery dies or the sensor decides to work.
The sensor usually gradually deteriorates. In my car it began with a slightly longer crank once in a while and worked its way up to having to crank for minutes before starting. The problem only occurred when the engine was cold.
If this sounds like the problem you're having, there is a shadetree diagnosis tip for you. The sensor has the most problems when it is cold, this is why most of the hard start problems happen in the morning. Sooo...if the car will not start for you, use a lighter or small blowtorch to warm up the sensor and see if the car will start. If it fires right up, then the sensor is probably your culprit.
It is a pain to fix, though. It involves removing the a/c compressor to slide the sensor out of the engine block, which in turn means you have to discharge the coolant.
I'm sure other folks will have some even more helpful ideas. Might want to tell us exactly when you have problems starting.

Good luck!
Michael

·
Registered
104 Posts
Your prob. could be in the EDIS module. (near the pass.side finderwell, it should have Motorcraft on it, 2x4 box with a wireing plug in it.) after reading and reading in a Haynes Repair Manual I unpluged it, pluged it back in, crunk and run fine, But I replaced it just to make sure it didnt do it any more.
FASTFORD!!

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
redshft said:
It is a pain to fix, though. It involves removing the a/c compressor to slide the sensor out of the engine block, which in turn means you have to discharge the coolant.
Not true. I've pulled entire engines out (ala my 95) without disconnecting any of the lines that run to the compressor. Unbolt it and push it out of the way. It's still a job though.

Tom

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the response guys.

I seem to have more of a problem when the car is hot.
If the car runs for awhile like 20 minutes or so then I'll have to wait about 40 minutes before it starts again.

Sometimes getting a jump helps the car start right away, sometimes it doesn't.
What really irks me is that there isn't a definite pattern that I can put a finger on.

I feel like replacing the battery because the dummy guage seems low when the car doesn't start. then the next time the gauge is low the car starts.

Right now the only way I start the car at all is through the remote starter. It won't crank if I use the key.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took the car to sears to replace the battery, I described the symptoms to the mechanic and was told that the starter's the culprit. I was told that when the starter gets hot that it builds resistance and that when it gets cold the resistance decreases, that's why it will start after awhile. I have a warranty on the starter so I'll try to get it changed first.

I would like to know if anyone has heard of this, or experienced this happening before?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts