TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellow Cougars, just joined up. I'll get right to the point. Just picked up a 91' Cougar LS V-6. Wanting to know what mods are available to get this anaemic 3.8 cat to move it's tail a little. I've owned a 5.0 Mustang up until this point and know my stuff when it comes to mods on it, but I am very unfamiliar with the 3.8. I know basic mods like air filter silencer and timing, but what I really want to know are there any reasonably inexpensive mods that I can do to pull another honest 25hp or so out of this engine. (Head/intake porting, exhaust, etc) I have access to all machinery needed and am fairly capable when it comes to using it. I'm really just concerned that if I spend 20+ hrs porting and polishing a set of heads, am I gonna see any noticeable difference. What about even little things, (plugs, TPS adjust).

Also, anyone have anything that I need to know about this particular year as far as recalls and such goes?

Whatever you've got would be appreciated?

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
head and intake porting, a new cam, and an underdrive pulley got me 45 more RWHP over stock and 20ft-lbs over stock

·
Registered
161 Posts
now I can't realy mess with the head, bt I do plan on p&P the intake a little since I have to replace my head gaskets anywys...But is there any wa that I could P&P the head, just enough to get a little more power...Just don't anna ruin it...Thanx for any help

Wes

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rancherlee said:
head and intake porting, a new cam, and an underdrive pulley got me 45 more RWHP over stock and 20ft-lbs over stock
Not to piss and moan over your suggestions, but how did your gas mileage suffer with the above mods. I know that you can't have it both ways, but I'm hoping to retain some fuel economy. Also, what cam did you use (Make/manufacturer, specs).

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
MPG is the SAME as it was when my car was stock still maintain a 21mpg average 50/50 highway/town.
I got "Thunder Jr." cam from rpm-mustangs.com
205 intake 216 exhaust @ .050 lift
.477 intake .495 exhaust lift
Uses stock pushrods but needs new valve springs

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmmm, now you’ve got my salivary glands working. What’s the deal with the stock heads, can they handle a little bit of milling to up the compression ration. I only know that the 3.8’s are famed for being weak in the head gasket dept and worry that a bump in compression would compromise durability. No idea what it is stock. Did you mill yours at all, or just stick with the port and polish?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts