TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I picked up a 97 tbird over the weekend and the check engine light was on. I scanned it and it shows bad cats or 02 sensors. It is high miles so I'm just going to replace the cats and the 02 sensors.

Is there a down pipe kit w/ cats like what mn12performance used to sell?

What is the most cost effective sollution.

thanks
Austin

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I would replace one of the O2's and see if one of the errors go away. A generic O2 as a lot cheaper than a new cat. :D

Although if you are at high mileage I would replace all the O2's (OEM's on the primary ones (upstream/pre-cat) and generic on the secondary (downstream/post-cat))

My 94 had 280K on the original cats and they were working within tolerance (i.e. no CE light)

Just my .02. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
if your cats are bad...do what I did....a brick, a burlap sack, and a local pond...you do the math...:zwall:

Seriously, if the O2 sensors don't fix it, go with high flow cats. MUCH cheaper than stock.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That reminds me of a funny story. We had squirels that were getting up in the attic. I couldn't find where they were getting in, so I got a good pellet gun and when I would get home from work, I would hang out in the back yard and take out everyone of those little ba$tards that I could find. I funny thing was that we had neighborhood cats that were using our back yard as their cat box. I come in from a long night of "squirel hunt" and my wife asks me if I'm going to use the gun on the cats too. HUH? I said, "NO! Of course not." She ask why and I explained that if I were to shoot them it would be a head shot and it would drop them where they were. With shock she said, "IT WOULD KILL THEM?". Yeah, it would! I said proudly. Then she explained in a sad voice that she thought the gun just sort of stunned them so they wouldn't come back. I said, "well, with my way we are sure they won't come back!"

So, I just jacked my own thread. Ha.

Back to the bird. I will try new 02 sensors first and then cats. If that doesn't do it, then new cats it will be.

I thought performancepeddler had a good high flow kit or something like that. Something that would bolt right up. Has anyone used it?

thanks
Austin

·
Registered
319 Posts
Sell the old cats for scrap... buy new high flow ones from summit. This might not be legal, but it could be?

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,814 Posts
That reminds me of a funny story. We had squirels that were getting up in the attic. I couldn't find where they were getting in, so I got a good pellet gun and when I would get home from work, I would hang out in the back yard and take out everyone of those little ba$tards that I could find. I funny thing was that we had neighborhood cats that were using our back yard as their cat box. I come in from a long night of "squirel hunt" and my wife asks me if I'm going to use the gun on the cats too. HUH? I said, "NO! Of course not." She ask why and I explained that if I were to shoot them it would be a head shot and it would drop them where they were. With shock she said, "IT WOULD KILL THEM?". Yeah, it would! I said proudly. Then she explained in a sad voice that she thought the gun just sort of stunned them so they wouldn't come back. I said, "well, with my way we are sure they won't come back!"

So, I just jacked my own thread. Ha.

Back to the bird. I will try new 02 sensors first and then cats. If that doesn't do it, then new cats it will be.

I thought performancepeddler had a good high flow kit or something like that. Something that would bolt right up. Has anyone used it?

thanks
Austin

LOL Nice story :) And yep some were in the forums there was somebody that got the system from PP, Would like to know as well, Just got my Exhaust manifolds ported & coated and would like the system to complete the package to my DynoMax CAT back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts