TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a 98 5.0 explorer as my everyday driver. About a week ago it started to feel like it had a small miss in it ( no Check engine light ).....so I went ahead and put plugs and wires on it. After that it actually felt worse.....Then finally it did throw a code. So I wanted to drive it around and see what it felt like and I come home from a ride around the block and when I get out I noticed there is a very bright glow from the underbody.....I check it out and the first CAT off the passenger side manifold is glowing. So I Put a new OEM cat on it thinking it is plugged. So now after a ride with the new CAT it's no better the fist cat and the second cats for the drivers side are glowing now and it's throwing a nice blue flame out the second cat..... The codes are missfire for number 8 and number 5 cylinder.....(P0305 and P0308)......has anybody ever had anything like this happen and what could i maybe do to fix it. Im not trying to take it to the STEALERSHIP.....but it looks as that might be the case. Any suggestions?

Thanks
-Derrick-

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
Sorry, I can't help you on this one, but I sure would like to see pictures of this... :)

·
Registered
632 Posts
Well, if your car is dumping fuel into the cat, and its burning there that would cause the glow.

You just need to figure out why there is unburnt fuel. It could be a number of things including a sparkplug not firing, or an injector malfunctioning. You said you had the misfire codes, which would indicate what I said above.

I would check the distributor (did the 98 5.0 have one?) and maybe move some injectors around to see if an injector is faulty.

-Andrey

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh we have pics....it's pretty wicked looking.....Ill post some later. and no it has coil packs...no distributor!! ahh this is pissing me off so much!!!

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
either you have an injector on that side stuck open or you have no igntion to at least 1 cylinder on that side. If the gas mileage has gone downhill big time I think that might hint you along.

Try running it for a while then shut it down and pull the plugs - you might find one cyl is flooded with gas. You'll smell it when you find it. lol.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The fuel injectors on #5 and #8 are leaking. replace them and problem is solved.

BTW: Federal emissions warranty on Cat converters and all OBD II items is 8/80. If you would have taken the truck to the dealership, they would have replaced the converters for free (provided the truck has less than 80K)

·
Registered
658 Posts
Any og the misfire codes are usually wires.
I had a misfire code on my car and then cahanged wires and all was good.

Try the wires, plugs then try coil packs.
just my 2 cents

danman

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
fixed it.....coil pack was screwed up....runs great now......i will get the pics of my glowing cats posted for you guys when my buddy loads the pics....they are somewhat interesting to say the least!

-Derrick-

1 - 10 of 10 Posts