TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Thursday night, an old man with his wife ran a red light, causing me to run straight into the right side of their car at around 35-40 mph. The A-frame is bent to hell, my engine is out of alignment, all the body panels in the front are f*cked, basically the complete front end needs to be replaced, and it's not worth fixing. I loved that car, but I guess it's time to move on. At least I got 5k bucks in medical coverage on my insurance. Considering that my car doesn't have airbags and I walked away from that accident scratch free, I think it is safe to say that our cars are well built and safe, and seatbelts DO save lives. So if you don't wear one, you're a f*cking idiot. Anyways, I found out that I have to PAY the damn junkyard to take my car. Does anyone know how I can get some money for the rest? I mean everything else on the car is in pretty good condition. I wanna part it, but I have no place to put the car.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
Man I'm sorry. I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say I'm glad you're okay. Yeah mn12's have a 5 star crash rating so that's a good thing for you. Not for your car though. If I lived closer I'd buy it from you but your half way accross the country. So how much are you getting from the insurance company? If it's totalled the insurance company will take your car and give you money. They sell them to junk yards I think. Well good luck with it all and hope you find a good car soon. God bless.
-Thomas

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well here's my problem. I don't have full coverage on my insurance. So basically i'm hoping that the old guy's insurance company will give me money. Does anyone know how this whole process works?

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Alex said:
Well here's my problem. I don't have full coverage on my insurance. So basically i'm hoping that the old guy's insurance company will give me money. Does anyone know how this whole process works?
Your insurance company SHOULD do it for you. You need police reports, an account of what happened, and an estimate from the cost. This should all be asked for by the insurance agent when you call hin to report the accident.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, well I guess i'll just have to wait till Monday....

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, here's the damage:

The Damage

So sad.....

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
The 93' parts car I bought has less damage and they totaled it, I pick up for 312$ at the insurance auction. You can probibly buy it back for 250$ I would guess and make some cash parting it out.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
Looks driveable to me :D Just a bit of duct tape and tarp.

Yeah I'd go with what rancher said, just keep it and part it out. You'll make a lot more money off of it that way.

-Thomas

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
See, I would like to part it out, but I have no place to put it. I would have to park the car on the street and with the car not being driveable, I don't think its worth the weekly street cleaning tickets. Perhaps someone in the Bay Area can help me.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
then spend a weekend on just the most valuable stuff. engine, tranny, seats, trunklid, rear bumper, doors, and any aftermarket stuff you had.

·
Registered
36 Posts
THAT SUXX. I FEEL YOUR PAIN THOUGH, HAD AN 89 XR7 AND HIT SOME SAND AND SLID INTO A GAURD RAIL, DON'T HAVE FULL COVERAGE. SO I KEPT IT IN MY PARKING LOT AND WAS GOING TO PART IT OUT, ONLY SOLD A FEW THINGS SO FAR BUT I BOUGHT ANOTHER 89 XR7 RECENTLY SO NOW I HAVE TWO!!!! BUT GOOD FOR ME CONSIDERING I DON'T MAKE A LOT OF MONEY BECAUSE THE MOTOR IS STILL GOOD SO IT'S COMING OUT AND IN ABOUT THREE YEARS IT WILL BE DONE AND MY CAR SHOULD BE DAMN FAST, HOPEFULLY. BUT IN YOUR CASE THE OTHER PERSON'S INSURANCE SHOULD DEFINATELY COVER AND HOPEFULLY YOU'LL BUY ANOTHER

JEFF

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Reminds me of what happened to my 35th Ann SC, I may have lost control on the black ice but it was the Kenworth behind me that did the damage:(

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
tbsc9038 said:
hey bro, i am in berkeley, did ya part it out yet? if ya need help, lemme know.

thanks
aaron
No dude i didn't part it out and it might get taken away tomorrow!! If you want the car PLEASE respond asap. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'd be seeing an attorney to see what they can do for you about your car. I would also be having the guy's insurance that hit you pay me for a Rent a Car.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Here is my advise, having dealt with a totaled car in the past here is what I'd reccomend.

First, call the office of the insurance commissioner for your state, explain what happened and ask what process the other drivers insurance co should follow. Tell them you don't know how this type of thing works, they will tell you the basics...

Second. let the other insurance company know that you have spoke to the office of the insurance commissioner, sets a playing field for them not to jack you around.

Third. search for cars like yours. same year if possibe, same options etc... and see what they are selling for. Get newspapgers, ebay sales info, look for similar cars for sale on this site, NADA and KElly Blue Book numbers. Collect all modification papers with prices etc... You need to establish what your car is worth on the open market today... Talk to car dealers and see that they would sell the car for if it weren't wrecked

Fourth, establish what all the extra work you now have to do is worth. Collecting all this info, finding a new car, all the time you put in. Yes the "love" you have for your car is worth money, it's sentimental value to you. Use what you make at work as an hourly rate benchmark for all the time you spend, even time talking to the insurance company on the phone. Also document all driving time and miles you spend doing all this work, they need to pay that too...

Fifth, they should be providing you a rental, no questions asked.

Sixth. make sure you don't have any injuries, back neck etc... if you feel anything "not normal" get looked at. In TX the typical settlement amount is 3x medial bills if you have any injuries that require treatment.

Seventh, never settle quickly... make them wait, don't accept the first or second offer. Get every damn dime you are owed. If you find a Tbird replacment and it's 600 miles away, make them pay to have it delivered.

Eighth, if you don't know of feel uncomfortable about anything the ask or tell you consult your insurance agen, an attourney or email me. Don't do anything until you are 100% satisfied with all the arrangements etc... You own this process, the timeline and how it al happens, they answer to you!!!

Let me know how it goes, you can PM me...

Patrick L Beauchene
Austin TX

1 - 20 of 30 Posts