TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i bought a 1992 cougar ls last may with a bad headgasket, i paid 500 bucks for it, and was out to fix it myself... so i fixed it, and well, it still runs like crap, i bought it as a winter vehical, and had full intentions of having the whole summer to get it running right, well now its getting close to that time when snow starts to fall, and i have absolutely no idea what to do. I know i'm loosing all potential buyers of it by saying this, but i think i've done more damage then good. this this will barely get up to 70, coud it just be ignition? i still heard sounds like the vacuum is all messed up, and the brakes feel good, but i still hear this hissing from under the hood. I've replaced both o2 sensors, but the car seems to be running real rich, i can smell the gas out of the exhaust, and it seems to bog down rediculous amounts, if i'm going up hill it will slow down until i switch it manually down to first gear, i still owe my dad money for this car, and he's getting annoyed quickly. I spent close to 300 reworking the heads, so i know they're good as new, as well as the water pump, the bottom end only has 87,000 miles, and the tranny was in good condition before... idno, anybody want a car? blue book says its worth like 1800 in fair condition, i'd rate this quite a bit less, but i couldn't take much less then 1000 for it. If i cant get this sold soon then i'm gonna have to sell my bird, and buy another winter car while i decide what to do with this. BLAH! someone help me please. i'd take it to a shop, but i'm sure whatever they'd want to do would cost me a fortune, but idno, maybe not. any ideas whats wrong with it? anybody interested in takin it? help me i'm so lost!!! sorry guys, just kinda depressed and i need to get something out of here, and i need to get myself out of debt. thanks for readin this rant, let me know if you can help me out. thanks

-j

·
Registered
484 Posts
Any codes? Any chance your cats are clogged? Everything ive read sais that your cats are trash after your head gaskets get really bad. Worth a look i guess.

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
First thing I'd do is pull the SPOUT plug and check the timing. :thumbsup:

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
There's a guy near me in des moines that posted a tranny and motor from a 92 for sale. you're in illinois. you could come pick it up. If you're not too far into illinois I'd even help you swap it in. I like that kinda stuff. I'll find the thread.
-Thomas

1 - 5 of 5 Posts