TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally... that day has come when _I_ get a good deal. A friend and I are getting an '83 Bird with a rebuilt 5.0 for $200. A neigbor of a brother of a friend wants it out of her yard and we're the perfect folk to take it off of her hands. We're going in half-and-half, I'll take the motor, trans, and the other engine related stuff, he'll take the rolling chassis (I already have a bird, he wants to put a 350 in his... to each his own.)

So I get a TBI 5.0 and trans for $100. I'm going to take a few months to accumulate the parts I'll need to swap it in to my '90 3.8. I'll build the motor to where I want it (will be doing and EFI conversion on it) and then take a week off later this fall to swap it in (might do the 8.8/MkVIII driveshaft swap before then.)

Question... let's set up a hypothetical year... let's say 1992. If I took a 3.8 ECM from that year, would I be able to pop a 5.0 chip in it and use it? Is that a dumb idea?

Also, it's got an AOD... Ford upgraded these trannys to manage the 302's higher torque output, right?

Thanks for indulging me,

Josh

·
Registered
76 Posts
You cannot just take a 3.8 ECU and put a chip on it to make it run a v-8. You will need to get a 5.0 v-8 ECU. Are you going with the stock mn12 5.0 fuel injection setup? Otherwise you may run into hood clearance problems. Along with the computer, you will also want the complete engine wiring harness and whatever you can beg, borrow, or steal off of a 5.0 mn12. Not sure what Ford did to the AOD's on the v8's if anything. I know the SC trans got a stronger overdrive servo.

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I should have researched it a little more before I posted (just a little excited.) I'd like to use a Mustang ECM from a '92 and use its engine/injector harness. I can fabricate on it a little if I need to in order to make some things work (I'm somewhat adept with automotive wiring and reading a wiring diagram.) I'll investigate another hood along with MN-12 5.0 intake availability. One or the
other, I guess.

I also plan on using the time to rebuild the transmission (simultaneously learning how to rebuild an automatic transmission ;-)

Mainly this is just a pass-time for me this fall. When I get the motor all together the way I want it I might just sell it and use the money for something fun. Or, if I come across a little Fox-body Mustang in need of a motor...

Thanks again,

JK

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think I heard many moons ago that the 93ish? Cobra intake setup would fit under the hood of the mn12's. For some reason it is lower profile than the regular Mustang intake. Of course you could also get a late model Mustang 5.0 intake. They had to use the mn12 intake setup on the 5.0 when they changed the body style for hood clearance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts