TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the rant but I just spent $300 and three hours to replace a friggin' MFS after I told them that the MFS needed to be replaced.

I should have just done it myself but it was an emergency of sorts and couldn't wait to have an MFS mailed out to me.

Everytime I go in there I have to hold their hands with everything and even then they don't have a clue what they're doing.

That's the last time I go to that place.

Other than that everything's okay; how are you guys doing? I feel better now. Thanks for listening.

John

·
Registered
250 Posts
Just Fine And Dandy...........but Yea I Know How You Feel. I Work In The Parts Department At A Ford Dealer And I Have To Hold The Techs Hand Sometimes, And Im Not A Tech. I Know What Im Talking About Cause I Have Been Working On Cars Since 6 Years Old But Come On Now These Guys Are Certified Techs..............

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
most techs are certifiable , even if they are certified !

·
Super Moderator
11,862 Posts
The don't call them "Stealerships" for nothing. I feel your pain.

Here's a Stealership story for you. I bought my car new in Sept. '94 and drove it from Missouri to Ohio in October to visit family. The car had less than 2000 miles on it and the MLPS on the transmission started acting up. So, I took it to the local Stealership and they diagnosed the problem. They told me they didn't have the part in stock but, the car would be OK to drive home to North Carolina later in the week and I could get it fixed there. Two days later I'm on my way from Ohio to North Carolina and the transmission starts acting up again. By the grace of God the next exit I came to had a Ford Stealership right there so I pulled in.

They take the car around to the garage. I told them what the other Stealership had said and they tell me they'll "Look at it". So, I'm left standing there for like three hours getting more and more pissed. Finally they come out and tell me that it needs a MLPS and they don't have any in stock. I could have killed the guy. I was so pissed. I said look, I'm in the military, I've got to be in North Carolina tonight. Here's what you're gonna do. Take one of those cars off the lot, take the part off of it, put it on my car, and order yourself up some of those Friggin' sensors.

They pulled a car off of the lot for me and got the part, I was out of there in under an hour after I told them what the hell to do. Talk about certifiable techs. Thank God I didn't have to pay for that one.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
cougar_guy04 said:
Yeh, but you've gotta watch out for those parts guys too! :eek:

:D
hey now

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow... that's amazing. But that sounds exactly like what they do. Ditz around for hours "diagnosing" the problem all the while ignoring the customer's input.

Well after this go-around I talked to the service manager and told him I wasn't coming back for service ever again. Every time I take my car there I end up on the short end of incompetence. The manager didn't see the problem with a $300 charge for replacing the MFS after I had already walked in there and told them the MFS was the problem. It's a 20-30 min job, max. How am I supposed to think anything other than "They just screwed me over for two hours of labor"?

I think there's a few things stealerships can do to improve the situation:

1) Stop making bleeding their customers dry their top priority.
2) Stop treating their customers like they're little babies that don't know a thing about their own damn cars.
3) Be willing to take input from their customers.
4) Before starting any work, have the customer and tech get together and let the customer explain as much of the problem as the customer can describe. This will prevent the tech from going off on wild goose chases. (But I suspect these chases are intentional to rake the customer for more money.)

It just doesn't make sense how they operate. My car is ten years old and the writing's on the wall: I'll be in the market for a new car soon. But after all of this BS, I can assure people two things: (1) I will not buy from this stealership again, and (2) I will not service my car there again. Don't they want my money???

Now I need to have some transmission work done shortly. I have two TSBs that need to be implemented, and I'll bet they don't even know what a friggin' TSB is. One of them requires a PCM update so I'm going to have to go to a stealership. I'm going to try a different Ford dealer since, like I said, I ain't going back to this other one ever again. But before I go, I am going to type up step-by-step detailed instructions of what I want done and HOW to do it, AND I'm going to attach the TSBs because they'll never believe me without them, and I'm going to bring that with me and plop it on their desk and go through each step one at a time and make sure it gets into the tech's hands. This is just ridiculous.

John

·
Super Moderator
11,862 Posts
Amen!

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
I feel your pain...

The manager didn't see the problem with a $300 charge for replacing the MFS after I had already walked in there and told them the MFS was the problem. It's a 20-30 min job, max. How am I supposed to think anything other than "They just screwed me over for two hours of labor"?
What was the breakdown. How much was the MFS, how many book hours did they charge for R&R'ing it and were there more charges/shop hours for diagnosing it?

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
That price sounds about right for them to hook it to the diag. machine, scan it, and the 1 hour minimum to replace the part, not including the price of the part itself. Not saying they weren't slow about it, but it still seems right.

I'm sure the dealers don't listen to what a customer has to say is wrong because they assume since you had to bring it to the dealer for repair that you don't know what you're talking about anyway, or they want to cover their azz, so they do what they need in order to properly diagnose the problem and repair it to your satisfaction. That's their job.

I know that I hate going to the dealer for anything when I can't find it because they always feed me the line of "Are you sure it's that? Maybe you should bring it in and let us take a look before you spend money on it if it isn't the problem." I just take it with a grain of salt and insist on buying XYZ part and leaving.

Smile or grit your teeth, no one will know the difference :D

Jay

·
Super Moderator
11,862 Posts
I'm sure the dealers don't listen to what a customer has to say is wrong because they assume since you had to bring it to the dealer for repair that you don't know what you're talking about anyway, or they want to cover their azz, so they do what they need in order to properly diagnose the problem and repair it to your satisfaction. That's their job.
Translation: They do whatever "Work" - and I use this term loosely - they can charge the most for. I bet your receipt looked something like this.

Diagnosis: $85.00 for what you already told them the problem was (This one always pisses me off.)
Sensor: 75.00 + 10.00 Sales Tax = Another $85.00
Installation Labor 1.0 HR at $75.00
Hazardous Waste disposal, Shop tools, Misc. Supplies, Lunch for the Token Bimbo service receptionist who doesn't know a lug nut from a dip stick $55.00

Total = $300.00

Or Your receipt looked like this: "Total Due: $300.00" This one pisses me off too they're just to F**King lazy to even itemize it. :zraped:

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, you guys are pretty much right. I don't necessarily question the line items on the receipt (that was the service manager's fallback). I just think if they were a little more interested in listening to me I wouldn't have had to pay for all that unnecessary time (let alone the 3 hours I wasted sitting there). It's one thing to be inefficient, but when it's costing me $80/hr it gets under my skin.

The problem was "no headlights". Based on my symptoms I would have bet the whole car on the MFS. But now that I look back on it, I'll bet that message never even made it to the tech. Nevertheless, these were the items:

$80.00 Diagnose (test) electrical current
$90.00 Replace MFS
$108.07 Parts -- MFS
$19.52 NJ State rape tax

And don't get me wrong... this isn't really a bank-breaker for me, fortunately. It's just one of my pet peeves I guess. I think it's a compounding thing and they finally pushed me over the edge. I'll post my other great experiences with this stealership tomorrow. Some of them are pretty funny.

John

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
DomesticDisturbance said:
Just Fine And Dandy...........but Yea I Know How You Feel. I Work In The Parts Department At A Ford Dealer And I Have To Hold The Techs Hand Sometimes, And Im Not A Tech. I Know What Im Talking About Cause I Have Been Working On Cars Since 6 Years Old But Come On Now These Guys Are Certified Techs..............
[Off topic]

Why do you capitalize every word???

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
He's texting from his cell would be my guess...

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
It seems that some people are trained to let the electronics do the work for them. Just like the shade tree mechanic (back yard variety), The good ole days of True diagnostics are gone. Everything is plug and play, including our cars. Tech's are thrown out so fast that they really aren't taught how to trace a problem. They're taught theory, how to turn a wrench, and how to read a computer, and replace what it says to. Case in point, A car is taken in to be diagnosed for "whatever"and the customer is told that it will cost "XX" amount for the diagnostics, but if the problem isn't found, then it's going to cost XX.00 an hour to trace and disgnose the problem. I use to get this story all the time. Argueing is pointless because it's how the industry works. If the mechanic can't find the problem with the "diagnostics", you'll leave having lost money with no answers, or you'll end up spending more money Before the repair. Granted it's not always the case. But it is frustrating when it happens. And it happens often I'm affraid. My advice is to purchase a repair manual to "familiarize" yourself with your car. It's not gonna give you all the answers, but the basics are there and that is a good place to start. Of course in your case it's past tense, but a lesson learned is a lesson .....learned:)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts