TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is where it started... http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=85069 .

But that beast has got a little sidetracked...lol, but all the help is appreciated.

Ive narrowed down some of the products I'm gonna go with...

Headers - MAC Shorty ceramic coated
Cats - TBD
Resonator - TBD
Mufflers - Borla Pro XS

As you can see, im still looking for some input in the Cats and Resonator. My set up will be true dual and I was thinking 2.25" would do the trick with the small mods I plan on doing like Pulleys, K&N cone or homemade ram, and of course the new exhaust.

I want good flow that will enhance the performance end to a degree, but I also like QUIET inside and out.

Suggestions on the Cats and the Resonator???

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
check out some magnaflow hi-flow cats. And magnaflow also his an x-pipe resonator.

I'm running 2.5" true dual, with cats (not the magnaflow units), dynomax x-pipe resonator and borla XS mufflers.

Its nice and quiet inside the car, and outside as well, but when you get on the gas theres still some noise to be heard.

PS. I also have ceramic coated MACs

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
StupidFly said:
check out some magnaflow hi-flow cats. And magnaflow also his an x-pipe resonator.

I'm running 2.5" true dual, with cats (not the magnaflow units), dynomax x-pipe resonator and borla XS mufflers.

Its nice and quiet inside the car, and outside as well, but when you get on the gas theres still some noise to be heard.

PS. I also have ceramic coated MACs
I think you may be my evil twin...

Thanks for the suggestions! Have you noticed better or worse gas mileage with this set up?

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
cloud2or3 said:
I think you may be my evil twin...

Thanks for the suggestions! Have you noticed better or worse gas mileage with this set up?

hard to say, as I cant seem to keep my foot out of the accelerator for long enough to get a decent idea :). However it doesnt seem to be appreciably different.

and yes.... I AM Evil :zdevil:

·
Registered
958 Posts
I like the magnaflo cats. I need to cut these glasspacks off and finish off w/ 2 magnaflow mufflers. I am thinking about doing an H-Pipe. my exaust specs in signature. 2.5 true dual

·
Registered
958 Posts
screw the resonator!!! just lose the excess baggage you don't need it!

·
Registered
799 Posts
Skip the shortys and get some real headers.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha...

Skip the shorties? And what do you suggest in their place???

·
Registered
892 Posts
cloud2or3 said:
Skip the shorties? And what do you suggest in their place???
I sure couldn't find anything else. Choices are now down to 1 (MAC) unless you can find someone with JBA's in stock. They are not being manufactured anymore. It took my 6 hours on a grinder just to clean up the port openings on my recently purchased JBA Stainless headers. Really shoddy work if you ask me for a header that lists for $948! Arghhhhhhhhhh

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no resonator?

Why wouldnt I need the resonator?

My goal is quiet with good flow. A mid-muffler makes sense to me if i want the system quiter...

Let me know your thoughts...

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Without a resonator it will drone inside the car, even with fairly quiet mufflers. If you wanted loud then I would say skip em but if you want quit, resonators def help.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
cougar_guy04 said:
Thing is, 3.8's tend to sound like pissed off bumble bees without something midbody (ya know, like a resonator).
The car is a 5.0L, but I'm with you. I think for my intentions I will want the resonator or mid muffler...

There is a guy on eBay with some good deals. Anyone know a good reputable place...cheap-like?

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
I don't have the resonator on my car and put the muffler there. I don't have any droning! Never had. It is a nice exhaust note. I like it. I used a Dynomax Bullet Muffler and just had it welded where the resonator was. I also had the rear mufflers cut off and straight pipe welded on.

·
Mr. Jiggy Fly
744 Posts
Call me crazy, but I kinda enjoy the drone inside the car, its not constant with mine though, If I am on the highway, I can barely hear the exhaust, but if i have the OD turned off, and Im on back raods, there is drone, but I dont mind it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts