TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it needs new rings, unfortunately I can't afford it. I found it to be cheaper to replace the whole engine, but I can't afford that right now either. It's burning about a quart a week. Is there anything I can do to help my current engine burn less oil? All suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advanced! -Kevin

·
Registered
101 Posts
It could be your rings. But most likely your valve seals. Maybe a touch of both. Just put Some Oil stabilizer, READ THE BOTTLE. And keep a close eye on the oil level. And she'll keep on runnin strong.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I use a little thicker oil and the bottle of Bardall *i think that's how u spell it* NO SMOKE. Works great! I haven't had 2 put oil in mine in 3 weeks and its a dd. Without both it burns the hell out of oil. Hoping 2 throw a pi engine in this baby soon!

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Motor Honey

When I do an oil change and I put in 10w-30 in my '95, it will use a quart in two weeks. If I throw a bottle of Motor Honey in it, I can go well over a month before I gotta add a quart.

I bought the valve seals (they're less than $20), I just haven't done them yet. I also have a PI intake, TB, & new IAC & TPS to go in (among other mods), but I'm one of those slow to motivate type. Plus it is my girl's daily driver, I have another engine and was planning on putting it together with the mods; that keep adding oil thing is a thorn in my side with the engine in it.

Alright, I'll put the dang seals in, next week -- :rofl: famous last words.....

BTW, the little lady has been getting on me about the other "little problems". Sometimes it surges, it leaks P/S fluid, it either idles too low (like 500rpm) or racing (1500rpm), blah blah blah.....

·
Registered
101 Posts
When I do an oil change and I put in 10w-30 in my '95, it will use a quart in two weeks. If I throw a bottle of Motor Honey in it, I can go well over a month before I gotta add a quart.

I bought the valve seals (they're less than $20), I just haven't done them yet. I also have a PI intake, TB, & new IAC & TPS to go in (among other mods), but I'm one of those slow to motivate type. Plus it is my girl's daily driver, I have another engine and was planning on putting it together with the mods; that keep adding oil thing is a thorn in my side with the engine in it.

Alright, I'll put the dang seals in, next week -- :rofl: famous last words.....

BTW, the little lady has been getting on me about the other "little problems". Sometimes it surges, it leaks P/S fluid, it either idles too low (like 500rpm) or racing (1500rpm), blah blah blah.....
One possibility would be your PCV valve, Pull it out Shake it, If it rattles it's good. Put it back in and check the Rubber elbows(hoses) for cracks. If there cracked a good temp fix Is the good O'l duct tape. lol

·
Registered
239 Posts
I know it needs new rings, unfortunately I can't afford it. I found it to be cheaper to replace the whole engine, but I can't afford that right now either. It's burning about a quart a week. Is there anything I can do to help my current engine burn less oil? All suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advanced! -Kevin
i had the same problem and i thought my rings were worn out too. I was disappointed cause i did my oil changes almost religiously and still was burning oil.

in my case i wreck my 95 tbird (just body damage) and i bouhgt a 97 tbird v6 and transplanted everything from my v8. anyways to make a long story short while i had the engine out took off the intake manifold to replace gaskets and had heavy oil inside the runners, suspected of the valve seals and replaced them. NOT BURNING A DROP OF OIL ANYMORE!:D

·
Registered
239 Posts
Try thicker oil and lucas oil stabilizer. See if that helps.
thicker oil might help if the rpm levels stay low, otherwise it might pump up the lifters w/ oil and or might pump the oil to the top of the engine. i cant remember where i heard that the 4.6 engine has small drain backs designed for thinner oil.
thicker oil might have problems draining back in time, starving the engine of oil @ higher rpm's.

how many miles?

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Lol

One possibility would be your PCV valve, Pull it out Shake it, If it rattles it's good. Put it back in and check the Rubber elbows(hoses) for cracks. If there cracked a good temp fix Is the good O'l duct tape. lol
It's funny you should bring that up. Because the PCV valve (which I've replaced twice) doesn't fit that great into that little grommet on the valve cover. You can move it around and hear the vacuum leak. I tried wrapping electrical tape around the PCV valve (total failure), but I never tried good 'ole DUCT TAPE! I'll have to try that next.

·
Registered
654 Posts
It's funny you should bring that up. Because the PCV valve (which I've replaced twice) doesn't fit that great into that little grommet on the valve cover. You can move it around and hear the vacuum leak. I tried wrapping electrical tape around the PCV valve (total failure), but I never tried good 'ole DUCT TAPE! I'll have to try that next.
PCV= Positive Crankcase Ventilation. It's purpose is to use engine vacuum to recover blow-by gasses from the crankcase. It's strictly smog related. That's why the hot rods run a small breather element and no PCV. You'll never have a vacuum leak from the grommet you mention, I wouldn't worry about it.

An easy way to check the condition of the bottom end is to pull off the oil filler while the motor is running & put your hand an inch or so from the hole, then manually rev the motor. If you feel a whoosh of air coming out you need rings. If not that much valve seals are most likely to blame. If the motor is hot be prepared to have the cam sling hot oil all over your hand...

Hope that helps...

:D

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Just trash the car... MN12's are Money pits... every last one of hem... BLAH!!! I'm bitter...
Lol! Well, they are 15 years old... They just don't make 'em like they used to, huh?

As for the vacuum, of course it's not leaking from the engine block, it's leaking from that big a** hose that goes to the intake and sucking through the PCV; that's why I replaced it twice already trying to make it better. I am about to cap that big line off and just put a little breather in the hole like you mentioned.

Yes, I am aware of positive crankcase ventilation, the oldest emissions control around, and I like that idea you had, Kaptn' Obvious. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
The solution is a new grommet AND motorcraft PCV valve. The grommet is only available at the dealer.

·
Registered
101 Posts
A bad PCV can and will cause Idol surges I guarentee it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thicker oil might help if the rpm levels stay low, otherwise it might pump up the lifters w/ oil and or might pump the oil to the top of the engine. i cant remember where i heard that the 4.6 engine has small drain backs designed for thinner oil.
thicker oil might have problems draining back in time, starving the engine of oil @ higher rpm's.

how many miles?
My rpm levels do stay pretty low. I already have to take off slow because of my transmission. It has a hard time shifting from 1st to 2nd. My rpm level will go to 3 when shifting from 1st to 2nd and then it never goes above 2 again. Someone told me it was the throttle valve or something else I can't afford to fix right now. My Grampa says I should put in some of that lucas stuff and see how it does. I have been very cautious with the oil levels and try my best to take off as slow as possible at each stop. The faster I take off, the more white smoke I see behind me. I'm not sure how many miles I have, The odometer reads a little over 140,000. However shortly after I bought the car, I found that the odometer had been replaced at some point and time because there is a sticker on the inner driver side door that says it had been replaced. You can't read the mileage it was replaced at though. I love my car to death, but all these problems make me miss my Ford Ranger more and more.

·
Super Moderator
10,398 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
My rpm levels do stay pretty low. I already have to take off slow because of my transmission. It has a hard time shifting from 1st to 2nd. My rpm level will go to 3 when shifting from 1st to 2nd and then it never goes above 2 again. Someone told me it was the throttle valve or something else I can't afford to fix right now. My Grampa says I should put in some of that lucas stuff and see how it does. I have been very cautious with the oil levels and try my best to take off as slow as possible at each stop. The faster I take off, the more white smoke I see behind me. I'm not sure how many miles I have, The odometer reads a little over 140,000. However shortly after I bought the car, I found that the odometer had been replaced at some point and time because there is a sticker on the inner driver side door that says it had been replaced. You can't read the mileage it was replaced at though. I love my car to death, but all these problems make me miss my Ford Ranger more and more.
u should open another thread for ur trans problem.

as for oil burning problem, u said white smoke? keep an eye on ur fluid levels cause white smoke usually means that ur burning coolant

white smoke=burning coolant
white blueish smoke=burning oil
black smoke=bad fuel mixture burn

·
Listening on 141.850 mHz!
829 Posts
Similar is happening to my Limited Edition - I suspect valves. Won't smoke all the time but if I sit in a parking lot for a few minutes at idle then go to take off I'll have a nice puff of bluish-white smoke. I'm also losing coolant mainly due to an intake manifold replacement somewhere on the back passenger side. The engine "well" below the intake manifold can have a nice puddle of coolant at times. Oh yeah, the coolant reservoir has a thin film of oil in it but there is no coolant in my oil!

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Its hard to tell what color the smoke is exactly. Seeing as I am driving the car when it smokes. I can only really tell that smoke is coming out at night when there is a car behind me with their head lights on. I will check the coolant level though because recently my car has smelt like its low on coolant when I turn it off and get out. I bought some lucas for the oil and the transmission today and will be putting it in tomorrow after school. I know its burning oil because the oil gauge will flick on and off when it needs oil. I try to check the oil with the dip stick, but its dirty and I can't read it. Even if I get a oil change and check it when I get home it looks like it has no oil. I like my car to much to trash it, but thank you for your suggestion. I am rather proud of my car because I bought it myself. I don't feel like this is worth trashing it. I have to many relatives who can help me work on it to be discouraged by some smoke. Thanks for the help! -Kevin

1 - 20 of 27 Posts