TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping some of you can help me diagnose this.
94 4.6
Started all at once, rough idle, and stumbles on its face , trying to take off. seems ok at 50 mph. lots of smoke, only at idle, and leaving a stop sign. Smells funny when I park, but not rotton egg.

Got new plugs, and the wires are two years old, and were pretty nice, so I dont suspect them.
thanx for the help

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
150,000 miles. 7 plugs were pretty normal, one plug had oil? on it. All new plugs, runs no diferent. There is a smell of gas. brand new plugs, still smells of gas at startup.

·
Ohio TCCoA
863 Posts
Could it be the lash adjusters and hydraulic assembly? (laymen’s terms "ohc lifters"). I had them go out on my number 1 and number 7 cyl. I had close to the same symptoms.

Later,
jay

·
Registered
238 Posts
You have an injector hanging open and you need to look for another computer 94-5. It happened to me at 120k and it was the #6 injector. I would go get a noid light and find which injector is staying on, unplug it, so you do not destroy the cats, and look for a new computer.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Same thing my car did one morning when my Mass Air flow decided to die randomly. Unplug the electrical connector to the MAF on the air box and see if it idles normally. Also replace your PCV valve while your at the autopart store they are only lik $2.99.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
I will also throw my vote in for the EEC gone bad and holding an injector open if you have fuel running out the pipes.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Are you throwing codes? I would think the PCM is the last thing to blame.

I would get out the multi meter and measure the resistance of the injector in question and compare it with the others. The variance among should not be significant.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
When my PCM took a dump I never got a code. This particular symptom seems to be pretty common to the 94's at around 100K.

·
Registered
298 Posts
timb said:
I will also throw my vote in for the EEC gone bad and holding an injector open if you have fuel running out the pipes.

When my MAF died I had gas coming out of one pipe.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
He needs to get a noid light and test for an injector that's hanging open to be sure.

I am going to cast another vote for the EEC, I had to replace mine this fall. Good luck.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanx everyone for the help.
Smoke color is mostly white, cold mornings. I do see a hint of blue, when its stumbling. I have a meter, how exactly do I check each injector? for that matter, where is the eec. I may grab one at the boneyard. Pass footwell?

The guys at work tell me its the valve seals, whaddaya think of that??

·
Registered
212 Posts
To test the injectors unplug the wires from each injector and use your multimeter to measure the resistance between the two connecting tabs for the fuel injector. I forget the exact reading but I think they should read between 12-16 ohms. Measure and record readings for each injector to establish a baseline. The bad injector will have significantly less resistance (possibly a short circut) in comparison to the others.

Keep us posted.
BILL

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Get a noid light from the auto parts store. Plug it into the wiring harness for one of the injectors. Start the car, and the light should flash quickly, showing that the injector is getting the proper signal to open. If the light comes on solid and does not flash, your injector is getting a constant signal to stay open (this is what happened to mine). If that happens, it is probably the EEC.

The EEC is kinda tucked up into the dash above the passenger footwell. fordchip.com has instructions for removal.

Valve seals?? You said that it kind of smelled like gas when it ran. I highly doubt the valve seals would cause that.

I know when my EEC died, when the car ran, it billowed out massive clouds of white smoke that smelled like gas.

Also, if you put a new EEC in, it might still blow white smoke for awhile as the gas in the cats burns out.

Good luck man, let us know when you figure out what it is.

-Rob

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If the eec was keepin one injector open, would the resistance of all of them test fine with the car off?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Read my post above about how to check to see if an injector is getting the signal to hang open.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
WTF is a noid light? I work on cars for a livin and I never heard of a noid light.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
lol, a noid light is just a fuel injector test light. It just plugs into the injector harness like a described. Why they call them noid lights, I have no clue....;)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts