TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my tranny started slipping a few weeks ago and the temps were supposed to be in the 60s for a few days. Well...me knowing what I know think I should be able to have it out in one day before work and back in the second day before work.

I figured while it was out, I would put in the new 255 fuel pump I have had lying around for 10 years or so since I was already there. Well, with me, things NEVER go as planned so as I started the tear down, I broke a lot of bolts that were rusted in, including the manifold to down pipe bolts.

Not REALLY a problem since I planned on using a set of long tubes. So, after seeing that I would have to knock the floor in at least an inch on the driver's side, I decided to can that idea for now and use the shorties I have had lying around for...well...lets just say I collect parts for my cars. I have had them a while.

Seeing that the floor is kind of rusty at the rear of the car, I am not going to put it back together until I get that handled. So, after 2 days of working on it, by removing all the extra stuff, I ended up just getting mad and walking away because of the weather. Rain and 20ish degree temps for this guy means I am driving something different and saying screw it.

Last night, I was going to start cutting up my Y pipe and making the new one out of 2.5" and running the cats that I had on my red car that will not need them for a good while. With that said, I cut the old 2.5" cats from the pipes, and found that the PO had them hollowed out. So, an order to summit for new cats and a 2 to 1 2.5 to 3" Y pipe fit the bill and was ordered. I have 2 or 3 3" mandrel bent tail pipes lying around for this very purpose, so I went out tonight and started my later half of the exhaust. Sorry for the links, I am still trying to figure out how to make the pics show up.

I have to wait on the front half of the exhaust to go there, but the tank and axle stuff will be tacked all the way to the single flowmaster out the rear.

SWS

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

SWS

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The front (header back) was off of an sn95 5.0 I think. I should have tried to bolt it on first, just to see if it would fit. I know it would be close, but I am going to run cats so I started hackin away.

While I was under there, I found this. Sounds exciting right?

SWS

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
The links don't work for anyone buy you because nobody else has permission to view them...

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry for the delay guys. I have found the 1 thing I like about android over Apple stuff. Trying to get some sort of site that I can do from my phone.

SWS

·
Super Moderator
12,241 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Started with an f-150 tail pipe.

Hmmm...some of these bends are really close...where is my saw...

SWS

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not really jazzed about the fact that the flowmasters have 1 heat shield, but ya know.

I am trying to do too many things at once so I gotta run. Will post more pix when fotosuckit finally finishes uploading my junk...

SWS

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anyone know how far from the tranny the cats should be? I have to figure that out now since the tranny went back in tonight?

SWS

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

So while was looking at the rockers, it appears there was no saving them. 200k + on the ticker so no problems/complaints about that, but the tranny tunnel could use some attention. Knocked the rust off of the obvious parts. Primed the surface all up. Mixed up some semigloss white and...

Good enough for a headache and a new tranny.

SWS

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
You'd have to cut out the affected panels from the rocker area and weld/braze up new steel in it's place. Do-able, but obviously time consuming.

Good work on the exhaust. using a MIG?

You're never going to be able to get a good alignment with the LCA Cam bolt out of place like that. Should get that fixed ASAP.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I know I have to cut them out. Thats what I am going to do eventually. I have a mig and a stick. The welds dont look the best since the wind is getting to me while I am doing it. But its what I have so I will make do.

As soon as I get it back on the ground and am sure the tranny and exhaust are solid, I will fix the alignment. Little more weld and some love with a hammer and I will be good to go.

Next is building a rear subframe.

SWS

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Yup I work outdoors too and I hate the wind. I'm going to buy some 6'x8' canvas tarps on ebay to make myself a little draft-free welding cubicle. Takes me a week to make 1" linear weld using any process :)

What kind of work do you plan on doing to the subframe?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Its not the best work, but I guess I could have cleaned them before welding, but that would have added a days worth of work to what I have done. I am behind behind behind. I think within 2 hours, I should be ready to pull them out and paint over all of the welds. Well, maybe not. I still have to make my boom tube.

As far as the subframe goes, I have my spare in the garage. It is going to get welded, gussets, braces, and a cross bar.

SWS

1 - 20 of 32 Posts