TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty, the T-Bird modding shall begin for me finally! I have asked MANY questions I know about the car, but FINALLY THE TIME HAS COME.. THE OCEANS SHALL PART, ALL WILL TREMBLE!

Well no not really, but I am pretty psyched to finally be able to begin. My first mod I want to be is to remove the air intake silencer and install a K and N 9" cone. I went down to O' Reilleys to get it (because the Auto Zone here is ran by *******s), and he showed me the cone.. But it looked huge! He showed me the 9" cone with a boot.. And well.. It looked like nothing that was shown on the 4.6 motor pics! Not to mention.. I have NO CLUE how to attach it to the MAF sensor.. So my question(s) are:

What is the exact part number for the cone that will fit in the 97 4.6 (or is it really the 9")?

How do I put it on there?

Do I need any special tools/materials to put it on there?

Thanks for your help!

·
8,239 Posts
I'll be bluntly honest with you here.

Save your money and just get a paper filter if your is dirty.

If you must have a cone for whatever reason, then get a paper cone filter. Late model mod motor f150's have a cone and mustangs also.

Also you need to shield the cone from the hot underhood air or your cause is all for not.

JH

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your saying just not to do it?

Well what should my first modification be in your opinion??

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
or rip since the stock intake silencer is gone get a panel one so u dont have to spend 5 bucks every 15k to keep your airflow optimal

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I can take off my intake silencer WITH OUT having to change to a cone?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hm.. I may just go with the panel.

What is another good first mod?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Metalbassist03 said:
So I can take off my intake silencer WITH OUT having to change to a cone?
yep. remove the splashguard around the wheel well and rip out anything below the sheetmetal, you don't need it. then just buy the stock replacement K&N panel filter. this way it draws cool air from the fender, and will flow plenty of air for stock to bolt on motors.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is the stuff hard to rip off/? Do I need some kind of strong tool to do it? Or will bare hands do the job?

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
you own a 97. you don't have to take off the wheel or pull out the fender liner. you can get at it from under the front bumper. just peel/cut the white plastic, and it should come right off. You can leave on the peice that bolts on, it'll hold you airbox in place nicely.

Your first "mod" should be make sure all maintance has been done. Then do the J-mod.

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
Metalbassist03 said:
Hm.. I may just go with the panel.

What is another good first mod?
I would suggest pulleys or the tranny mods. A chip is also a good one, but costs more.

I had a K&N panel filter and removed the air silencer. Worked great - also the reusable filter saves you $$$ in the long run.

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
out of the mods i've done i'd have to recommend the tanny mod and a chip for the first 2. they were my two favorite so far. pulleys are good too.

Frank

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
the mod shift kit....the next mod you should think about.......and the intake silencer rips out.....u can cut it out so u dont have to redo the airbox bolts that hold the bottom piece down......i took mine off and riped off the pieces that hold them down....but w/e works for ya

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
once i removed the silencer, i just used zip ties to hold the air box in place until i installed a cone filter and heat sheild.

Frank

·
Registered
192 Posts
Your first mod? A [email protected] as my first mod, but my first worthwhile mod was a nitrous oxide system. So My vote is for the bottle. Get an adjustable kit and keep it at 75hp or less untill a fuelsystem upgrade. My second choice would be either a chip/MAF combo or a new converter. Mabey from a new Mach1.Just remember with a bottle you will need sticky tires to get the best results, even set at 75hp.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I'll add to the confusion.
Opening up the intake side with removing the air silencer and installing a K&N panel is a great first mod.
Next mods would be a TCCoA recomended chip (Reinhart, SCT, etc) and a bigger MAF. You should run 15.2 or better with those.
Adding some U/D pulleys and a dynomax catback into the mix should yeild 15.0's or better.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cool.. Well then I'm all over the panel and Air intake then.. Where would it be cheaper to order this or go to Auto Zone / O' Reilley's?

Btw, what's the part # for the panel if anyone knows!

And I do have a small exhaust mod done.. I have the pipe from the catalytic converter back upgarded with flowmaster mufflers and chrome tips.

Thank you guys again!!!

Is it hard installing one of those chip thingys?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Not sure on the part #, but most stores have a book with all applications listed.
As far as the chip install, it is fairly straight forward. I'll try to give an abbreviated idea: Disconnect the battery. You have to remove the passanger side kick panel (interior piece by the passanger's foot: by the door and under the glove box.) Then you follow the wires to the computer and remove a couple bolts and yank down. The hardest part is getting into a position where you can access the computer. Then you clean/sand down the contacts, install the chip, and put everything back together.

BTW - A transmission cooler is another 1st mods that is just about mandatory. No performance gains, but your tranny will thank you.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tranny cooler huh.. I like the sound of that.. Can you give me a basic estimate of how much one will cost / difficulty of installation?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts