TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Alright heres the story. I started up my car one day to go to my girlfriends house, about half way there i noticed steam coming out from under my hood so i decided to turn around and go home.

When i got home i notced the car was missing like a bastered and steam was coming from the circled part in my picture, so i let the car cool down then i went back out for a more in-depth look. I pretty much just put my hand on the coolant line that ran to the intake and the line AND the stem that goes to the intake popped right out. All the spark plug holes were filled with antifreeze.

Next day i decided to clean up the stem and get a new o-ring because the old one was pretty trashed. well i went to about 5 different harware stores and none of them had a match for the o-ring that was on the stem (they were all too thick). But i used one of them anyway. when i was screwing the stem back down to the intake(with my hand) i noticed it was vary hard to catch thread because of the thicker gasket. but i finally got everything good and put everything back on.

Take off mile down the road i see steam, pull over, the spark plug wire closest is drenched in antifreeze. and the stem is out of the intake

So i decide to use the old o-ring this time, but i get the sameeeee problem yet aginnn. but only thing is it doesn’t seem like any antifreeze is leaking from the stem(but i could b wrong), and i don’t know where else it would come from.

And i have been driving back and forth to highschool like this for about a month, When it first starts up it drives BEAUTIFULY but then slowly starts the missing to were it gets really bad.

I was wondering a couple things, could i order a new replacement steam w/o-ring? AND what IS the proper way to tightin down the steam to the intake??

any thoughts would be deeply appreciated. THANK YOU

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
you have a few problems.....that nipple is machined with a very fine tapered thread, as are the threads in manifold....the problem is not the nipple or the oring, assuming that the oring is not damaged, torn, or severed. The problem is the fitting on the manifold and there is nothing you can do to fix it, other than repalce the manifold. Take my word on it, ive been there, done that, and have the tshirt.....replace the manifold. You have the oppurtunity to either go with the PI manifold or do what i did and just get a regular NPI manifold, change it in a few hours and have a running car again...Preston and I did mine in about 3 hours, taking our time.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Great Obucina said:
you have a few problems.....that nipple is machined with a very fine tapered thread, as are the threads in manifold....the problem is not the nipple or the oring, assuming that the oring is not damaged, torn, or severed. The problem is the fitting on the manifold and there is nothing you can do to fix it, other than repalce the manifold. Take my word on it, ive been there, done that, and have the tshirt.....replace the manifold. You have the oppurtunity to either go with the PI manifold or do what i did and just get a regular NPI manifold, change it in a few hours and have a running car again...Preston and I did mine in about 3 hours, taking our time.
Thanks for the fast reply, i guess this will give me a reason to get a PI intake :cool: . did u use any mechanical guide of some sort to describe how to remove the intake? I have never wrenched on a engine, but i kind of know my stuff in a way. should i try it myself or just have a professional do it?

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
well, you will need a few things...fuel fitting tools, from autozone. Basically, if i were you, i would just replace it with another NPI manifold so you have a running car. You will need some fuel rail removal tools, but other than that, some ratchets, sockets, and extensions...some carb cleaner, manifold gaskets, and new spark plugs.

break enough parts you you dont need no stinking manual.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
you don't need fuel line removal tools, pop the injectors out of the intake and have someone hold the rails as you slide the intakes under.. the NPI intake is a lot shallower and easier to manuever in, we did it w/ my PI.. no probs

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
One thing: The ford heads are made out of old beer cans....( bolting down a manifold requires a certain sequence_its in the book) and you have to use caution so as to not strip any bolt hole trhreads, so the tork spec of 16 to 22 foot lbs (if I remember correctly) needs to be observed as well, otherwise, a piece of cake, go figure ;)

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Leland Jacobson said:
One thing: The ford heads are made out of old beer cans....( bolting down a manifold requires a certain sequence_its in the book) and you have to use caution so as to not strip any bolt hole trhreads, so the tork spec of 16 to 22 foot lbs (if I remember correctly) needs to be observed as well, otherwise, a piece of cake, go figure ;)

yeah, it aint much.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Plastic ?, Who knew?

I love my '96 T-bird/V8/4.6. After finally getting through the ignition switch
pin breaking off inside the steering column I figured that was one of the once in a lifetime things. Then while searching for an answer I found the forum, This Forum. Taking all the advice I could, I got through it not perectly but through it just the same.

After leaking collant for awhile, first a little then a little more. I was just in denial. I had just had my heater core done. I just prayed quietly that it was just working itself out. It didn't, it just got worse, especially after I had my coolant flushed. I took a look and sure enough at the rear of the engine there was a hose
that appeared to be the cause of the leaking. The hose looked damaged. So I
took it off, cut off about an inch and started to put it back on when I noticed the crack. From where the brass tube ends, to where the manifold begins. The ford parts guy tells me that it's one peice and for $493. he will sell me the kit, gaskets and all. I felt like a deer caught in the light until I saw Stevie G's photo. That's the same picture I've seen while I'm awake and while I sleeping. There was another
forum member who described my own experience to a T. But I taking the advice
of the one man who said you can get one (intake manifold) @$200. and put it in yourself.

So it's your advice I'm taking.
I know I probably wouldn't have had the nerve to undertake something as complicated and technical as this unless I was convinced
by others who've been there that it isn't rocket science.

cmore1996

1 - 11 of 11 Posts