TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
decided to drive my t bird around for today and noticed quite a few things....

1. whenever i go over a bump there is a loud clunking noise(doesnt sound like its suspension related because the car ride very nice and responsive...but im not sure

2. the traction conrol switch always has the "off" light illuminated even when i press the button...and one time while i was driving for about 5 minutes i could turn it on and off...but other than that it always says off.

3. the low coolant dummy light keeps coming on but i checked the coolant and it looks fine.

4. when im goin above 60-65 the car vibrates....when i take my hands off the wheel the car still goes perfectly straight but vibrates.

5. theres no owners manual...anybody got one??? :D

also i just saw that the abs light is on(but the brakes work fine as i found out in the storm today) and the high beams dont work.

anybody have any answers/solutions/ideas??

greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
decided to drive my t bird around for today and noticed quite a few things....

1. whenever i go over a bump there is a loud clunking noise(doesnt sound like its suspension related because the car ride very nice and responsive...but im not sure

check your suspension while its parked if it does the noise when you push down o the car then check ALL your bushings.. and also check your exhaust hangers.. the rubber coushins on mine ripped and would make the exhaust bounce around.

2. the traction conrol switch always has the "off" light illuminated even when i press the button...and one time while i was driving for about 5 minutes i could turn it on and off...but other than that it always says off.

is your ABS light on?? if your abs light is on then your traction assist wont work. check all your relays with a voltage meter and check your ABS control unit. if you need help with that pm me and ill tell you where it is..)

3. the low coolant dummy light keeps coming on but i checked the coolant and it looks fine.

check the sensor on the coolant overflow. if its dirty (which i dont doubt) it will act up and show "low coolant"

4. when im goin above 60-65 the car vibrates....when i take my hands off the wheel the car still goes perfectly straight but vibrates.

check your tire inflation/balance. if they are under inflated or off balance they will shake the car like crazy.. also check your tierod ends.. even if the car has perfect alignment it doesnt mean the tierod ends are loose and causing the wheels to vibrate.

5. theres no owners manual...anybody got one??? :D

check with jon at ford parts counter (93lx on here) and see the cost of one from him.

anybody have any answers/solutions/ideas??

greatly appreciated
hope that helps..

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks that definatly helps

the only noise it makes when i push it down is from the rear...and its a creeking noise, but i think thats the springs...

checked the wheels and two of them dont even have the little weights on them from when they get balanced, so i will have to get that done

yes the abs light is on, but the brakes worked fine today in the rain...?

ill check the coolant in a little because i just got done drivin the car so its still hot.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
thanks that definatly helps

the only noise it makes when i push it down is from the rear...and its a creeking noise, but i think thats the springs...

checked the wheels and two of them dont even have the little weights on them from when they get balanced, so i will have to get that done

yes the abs light is on, but the brakes worked fine today in the rain...?

ill check the coolant in a little because i just got done drivin the car so its still hot.
check all your ABS sensors too.. sometimes they go out and cause the ABS light to come on and manually overides the TCS option.. my car in particular has a bad ABS computer.. (from hitting a mailbox? :rofl:) and my abs doesnt work at all.. ive made the car skid so many times its not funny.. (rain or not..)

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
where are all the abs sensors?
that would be a question for someone more brake associated.. i wont touch the brakes on my car.. id rather know theyre good with out me touching them lol my guess would be the little toothed wheel behind your brake disks but dont hold me to that..

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
the little white teethed gear looking plastic pieces are part of it yes.
hey look! i got something right for once! :rofl: thanks for confirming my extremely uneducated guess there lucky.. :thumbsup: :D

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
whats the other part of it lol
ill take another stab at this.. lol

when you look at that little "gear" look for a little tube with a wire coming out the back of it.. it shouldnt be more that a 1/4" away from the gear itself and its pointed directly at it. i think its mounted of the back of the caliper itself IIRC

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
checked and 93lx hasnt been on here in 5 years....any other way i might be able to get a owners manual??
lmao i talked to him not.. 2 weeks ago.. hes on here all the time

·
Registered
1,061 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
Yeah goto the ford parts counter and ask Jon. But first I'd unbolt them and see if they are just dirty. If that doesn't work go read the codes. It will tell you why the ABS is failing. Then if its an actual bad sensor just contact jon and see if he can help ya out.

·
5,650 Posts
There are 4 ABS sensors. The front two are each bolted to the spindle. With the wheel off, you will see a single fat black cable going to a sensor that pushes into a hole in the spindle. You will see it sticking out and hovering right above the teeth. The two rear sensors are bolted to the differential itself. Again, the sensors are located right above the teeth on the half-shafts.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well, my dad drove the car to work today and he said that after he filled up the tank it smelled like gas once he got to work, and still does right now sitting in the garage....any ideas?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Sounds like a junkyard personally, just find a bird thats not rusted to bad and grab the tank off that.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
theres a few decent birds here in my local yard but i think they take the tanks out for saftey reasons..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts