TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new (used) car.

It's a 2001 Jaguar S-Type with a 4.0 and 119,000 miles.

It's rear wheel drive, powered by a proper (but small) V8 engine, and it's (sort of) a Ford product!

Apparently, when it comes to cars, I'm a masochist, as even this one has a list of issues to sort out.

But don't worry, I still have my T-Bird! :D Between the Jag, the T-Bird, and the Mercury, I should have at least one car running at any given time!

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I like those cars, alot. I will say that you will likely have plenty of opportunities to work on it, as they are pretty high maintenance, even more than its closely related cousin the Lincoln LS.

I look at those in the junk yards because I am always on the lookout for a 17 inch spare, and I have to say that I have seen plenty of them without crash damage. Since things don't rust here, they are either mechanically gone, or wrecked, once they make it to the junk yard.

·
Super Moderator
10,769 Posts
My '63 Tbird had Hydraulic Windshield Wipers, lol.

No kidding. And the wiper fluid bottle was a rubber "hot water bottle" looking thing.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
...even more than its closely related cousin the Lincoln LS.
Maybe you're thinking of the X-type. The X-type is the LS twin. The S type the OP bought is not the same car.

I like Jags. Cool cars but man the maintenance/repairs... yikes.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I work with a guy and he has a S-type. His only complaints are is wife likes it as much as he does (she's taken from him now) and the maintenance every couple months he's sending ~$300 on something--its worse than a SC. :D

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
My bad, my understanding was X = LS.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mine is an S-Type, and yes, under the skin it's pretty much identical to a Lincoln LS.

Bangster, you were right, she's already given me an opportunity to work on her. The torque converter went belly up yesterday on my way home from work.

I'm tying her to the Thunderchicken tomorrow, and towing her to a friend's house, where we are goin to check the transmission fluid level, and do some other diagnostic work to confirm it is in fact a torque converter. Hopefully I'll have her up and running again in a few days. Before she broke down, she drove great.

Decent cornering. Not as good as my T-Bird, but the Bird has Tokico shocks & springs on all four corners, sits an inch or two lower than stock, and has 235 tires all around.

Ride quality is much better than the Bird, but again, the Bird has aftermarket shocks.

What I'm really falling in love with is that 4.0 V8 engine. 280 horsepower, and smooth as silk. Rev that little puppy up, and the big Jaguar will move.

Hopefully, doing the work myself will save some green, and I can fix it for under $500. I really like this car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts