TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brand new, shiny Explorer motor arrived this morning!

Now for the questions...and yeah, I've read a lot of information on this subject, I started this thread to consolidate the information that I need.

Anyways, wouldn't the stock exhaust manifolds be a considerable restriction? I know that they are, but would they be even more so on a PI engine?

Here is what I understand that I am using off of my '95 engine:

-Coil packs
-All accessories (is there a different alternator bracket that I need to use? I haven't actually seen the engine as I am in Orlando, but my dad told me that there is no alternator on the engine)
-Exhaust manifolds :(
-Oil pan

Here is what I need to get (I think):

-'96-97 Fuel Rails/fuel lines in the engine compartment
-'96-97 Throttle linkage(?)
-"Misc. Gaskets"
-Intake Tube (GT intake tube will work I assume, how about '96-97 T-Bird style?)

Now my other questions...can someone explain the throttle linkage/cruise control crap? How about EGR? Can I use the injectors that are on the Explorer motor?

If I think of anything else, I'll post it. I appreciate any help you guys can give me, and thanks to Tim and Jim for the help they have already given me.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
-Coil packs
-All accessories (is there a different alternator bracket that I need to use? I haven't actually seen the engine as I am in Orlando, but my dad told me that there is no alternator on the engine)
You can either modify you upper bracket or leave it off
-Exhaust manifolds
-Oil pan Add to that
-Front cover but use the explorer crank pully and waterpump
-Oilfilter adapter
-Injectors the ones on the explorer are shorter and will not seat completely in the Tbird fuel rail

Here is what I need to get (I think):

-'96-97 Fuel Rails/fuel lines in the engine compartment
-'96-97 Throttle linkage(?) You need a 96-97 throttle cable if you are handy you can modify the explorer throtle cable bracket or just order a 96 Tbird one
-"Misc. Gaskets"
-Intake Tube (GT intake tube will work I assume, how about '96-97 T-Bird style?)
96 Tbird one will work fine....if they sent the one form the explorer it can be modified to work

Now my other questions...can someone explain the throttle linkage/cruise control crap? How about EGR? Can I use the injectors that are on the Explorer motor?

All you need to do is cut the little red tip off the cruise control cable

If you have any more questions just post here or the email I sent you yesterday had my phone numbers at the bottom.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the speedy response once again...

Couple more questions:

-When you say modify the existing upper bracket or leave it off, since I don't have this stuff in front of me what has to be modified? I hope by leave it off you don't mean for me to not have an alternator!
-Oil filter adapter from my car, correct?
-Injectors...the PI motor will do ok with the stock what are they, like 16 pound injectors?

I'll go ahead and add the '96 throttle cable to my list of stuff to order.

The EGR tube off of the '95 engine will work alright?

Thanks again.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
-When you say modify the existing upper bracket or leave it off, since I don't have this stuff in front of me what has to be modified? I hope by leave it off you don't mean for me to not have an alternator!
I mean leave the top alternator bracket off or in my case I just used a vise, hammer, hacksaw and drill to bend it to fit the manifold bolt hole. BigScott says just leave it off

-Oil filter adapter from my car, correct?
Correct
-Injectors...the PI motor will do ok with the stock what are they, like 16 pound injectors?
your stock injectors are 19's and they do just fine I have been running them for 6000 miles now

I'll go ahead and add the '96 throttle cable to my list of stuff to order.

The EGR tube off of the '95 engine will work alright?

No you will use the explorer EGR...it bolts right up to the tbird exhause manifold. I also used the explorer EGR flow sensor rather than the tbird one....don't worry I can take pics of anything you need as well as help you with the wiring color combinations.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you post a pic of the Explorer flow sensor (EGR)?

Is there any benefit or reason to using the EGR flow sensor from the Explorer as opposed to my Cougar?

What modification is needed to the Explorer intake tube to get it to work? If it is the MAF sensor I have a '03 GT MAF, not a stock MAF.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
I thought it was easier to use it. You flow sensor is a big box that is mounted to the back of the intake plenum with two hoses running to it....the explorer one is a tiny black box that attaches right to the egr tube so I didn't have to figure out a place to mount the larger one......either will work it's your preference

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I forgot about that.

About the injectors, the 19# will work fine (and won't require immediate computer tuning), but even though they will work, should I go up to 24# injectors if I can find them at a decent price? Anything specific I should look for as it seems there is some variation in injector physical size (the reason I can't use the Explorer injectors)?

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Yes the explorer injectors are physically smaller in size ( they are also 19's though) Ford has two styles and I can't remeber what each is called. No need to change injectors unless you plan to add a blower.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gotcha...thanks for the help everyone.

I probably could have answered some of my own questions if I had both engines in front of me...but hey, I'm excited and anxious so I just had to know! You guys know how that goes though.

I still hope to make it down next weekend, not sure if it will happen or not though. I'll let you know.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Cool. If you do make it down you will have 2 explorer and 1 mustang swap to look at

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I believe they are designated EVI and EV IV. That is from What I remember in the FRPP catalog. The 19's will be fine unless you are going to some form of power adder. The manifolds will work fine but if you want headers, now is the time to do it. They do make an alternator bracket that will work with the updated aluminum crossover intake, it is $9.83 from Dan I think. I just ordered all my swap parts from Dan. So if you need a part # let me know. I have the list he gave me.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, if you could PM me the part number list I would appreciate it.

I'll stick with the 19s for now, no power adder for at least a year...spread my expenses out a little bit.

You going to be running headers? I'd like to, but I don't think it is something I can do right now. Kooks are way too expensive for me right now, and JBAs are sure up there, aren't they?

Tim, that's one of the main reasons I wanted to come down, so I'd have an opportunity to see these swaps completed so I'll have half a clue what I am doing. Luckily I've also got the A-Team of technicians from my Ford dealership helping me out, so it shouldn't be too bad.

For you guys who have done this swap already...you are picking up approximately 40 crank HP by putting in the newer motor, give or take. How much of a difference could you feel just from the engine, regardless of other mods? I'm just wondering what I should expect.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Easier to e-mail it. Send me you e-mail address. Mine is [email protected]

I will be going with the Kooks headers. Part of the tax refund is for them. My engine will be going in next year.

The sawp is not difficult at all. Tim was the test subject. A lot of the things we found out were by trial. They just worked when we went to put it together. Like the EGR tube.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Well my car is a pretty good example of that since I still have the stock manifolds, MAF, torque converter and open 3.08's although I do have the ART exhaust. It is noticably stronger above 2800...when you hit that RPM band it's like flipping a switch and it starts to pull and wind much faster. If you come down I'll let you drive mine so you can see.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
There is a big difference in the seat of the pants meter. You can see my mods in my sig. Tims car has the 02 engine with an open 3.08 rear. They feel prettey equal when you drive them. But his car definitely comes on in the upper RPM range where mine falls flat. Track times prove it. He ran a 15.1 and I ran a best 15.3 We were pretty consistenly 2 tenths apart. Now FLABIRD has a PI GT engine with similar gears and stall converter to mine and he has run 14.4-5's I think even better times last night. ;)

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow...that is pretty surprising. Depending on how much these swap parts run me, I will probably also be picking up a Mark TC. That should interface with the Explorer's flexplate just fine, shouldn't it? Will I need to get a new flexplate as well?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
We did not use the Explorer flexplate in Tim's swap. I have a smaller 11.25 in converter in my car and I did need the Mark VIII flexplate. Found that the hardway. Thank god Dennis had one in his shop!:bowdown:

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
You will need the Mark flexplate if you are going to install the Mark converter. If you are keeping the Tbird one swap the tbird flex plate on

1 - 20 of 36 Posts