TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

I got the layout of the stock system from the rockauto website. when i coped the mid pipe over, i thought it was going to overlap, but it didnt, if fits snug with the other pipe. Given that the stock pipe now will be moved over to the passenger side bank. I was thinking, if i just bought a new midpipe, move my old one over, have an extension pipe to compensate space on both sides for the 3rd cat and resonator (already removed), and get the tips worked out, which i could also use a good deal of my existing pipe back there. I would have a shop i do business with do it, but will that work, moving it over and stuff?

oh yeah, and ill have an h-pipe somewhere in that, probably up by the pipe that im going to use to make up the space for the resonator and 3rd cat

·
Registered
958 Posts
my bird is set up almost exactly like that but generaly it should work..... i had trouble finding someone that wouldn't bullsiht me and say it wasn't possible! I paid 250 for cat back new pipes(2) ran to 2 glasspacks in rear where you show mufflers. trust me go w/mufflers!

·
Registered
694 Posts
I have that same setup almost... only diff is I have a mid mounted muffler, and no mufflers in the rear. But the pipes run along the same path down the body like you got there.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ive already got the mufflers and the resonator taken off. I have some thrush turbo's on there now and they sound pretty good, not too loud, not too soft. If i can talk them into it, I might have them remove all the cats, since i dont have inspections here.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have that same exact setub minus the h pipe and the cats. I went with flowmasters for the sound but thats up to you.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I have that same exact setup minus the h-pipe and the cats. I went with Borlas for the sound but thats up to you.

The 2 sections going thru the tunnel will be very close. I had the shop weld a brace to them to keep the spacing. Might not have been necessary, but I didn't want them touching and making noise.

Rob

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
I had mine done a little differently. I left the cats in place and had the resonater removed, then a custom made Y-pipe put in it's place, then ran duels back to a set of Dynomax bullet glasspacks. Looks and sounds great.

·
Registered
316 Posts
so you have a set of

galsspacks? i heard they sounds chitey on the tbird.

bullits however sound good.

i want to hear what a set of long glasspacks sound like on a bird

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Uncaged 94 said:
I had mine done a little differently. I left the cats in place and had the resonater removed, then a custom made Y-pipe put in it's place, then ran duels back to a set of Dynomax bullet glasspacks. Looks and sounds great.
Why did you go with a Y pipe? Have you tried true duals?

Reason I ask is because I had a Y pipe, and just recently went true duals and I feel like i lost a lot of low end. I just added some resognators and seemed to have helped some. Still tweaking the exhaust though.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
for the guys that have the same setup, did you have the second midpipe custom made or did you buy a stock one? Thats what im trying to figure out, instead of having it made, i could buy it cheaper myself.

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
I dont think you'll have much luck getting a second stock mid-pipe to fit next to the other, as it has some flat spots where it gets wider, and I am doubtful that they would fit next to each other as nicely as they do in the photochop

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
awdRocks, aside from diameters, we all know that the purpose of the "X" or "H" pipe is to merge the two exhaust flows togather. The reasonong is that it will aide the flow by equalizing the pulses of the two banks and help with scavanging. From the research I did on "X" and "H" pipes, apparently the X pipe is more suited to an engine that has higher peak torque revs., were as an H is more suited to a lower peak torque curve. This is why the mod motors like an X pipe and the pushrods like the H pipe (stockcars like in NASCAR by the way use the X design). My reasoning was this, after I had the resonater removed, it almost looked like one side of the "X" design were the pipes merge. So all I had to do was continue the other side with a reverse "Y". And since the stock motor is really a weanie (205 HP) I decided to go with 2" diameter pipes back to the mufflers. I figured the smaller diameter would help with torque. And it did, big time. Although it just feels marginally better out of the hole, I can really feel it pull alot harder on a kickdown at cruising speed. After all, they are cruisers, right? :) Any way, it's been nearlly four years since I had it done and it still looks and sounds great. The pulse tone is awesome and I get comments all the time. I hope that answered your question.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts