TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys how's it going... Well months back, nov 05 my tranny blew and i got it replaced with another 4r70w which was rebuilt. I have a 12k/1yr warranty..whichever comes first warranty. Today i was driving and i took a 90 degree right turn onto a street and gave it gas. I see and hear the engine rev to almost 5k...yet i was only going 5mph and the tires weren't spinning. At first i thought maybe i just burned out cause i was listening to tunes...but i didn't. I do have a tendancy to punch it from a stop or when making a turn just to get moving...only this time it was like the engine lost 1st gear or something.

I was driving like i always do, O/D off and traction control off. After that i drove her around a bit and got on it to make sure nothing was wrong...no other symptoms. I just hope the tranny isn't starting to mess up its clutches or whatever already. Yes i do have a warranty, but jeez i don't wanna be without her for another 3-5 days..which is how long i waited last time.

Any thoughts on why it did this..?

PS forgot to add a couple times in the snow i used 1st gear, and 2nd gear to get moving-like keeping the shifter in 1..or 2...maybe i fouled the tranny some..?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could the fluid be why this happened..maybe it sloshed to one side when i made my right turn...???

I just spoke to my friend that works at Midas, he's pretty knowledgeable (alright alittle lol) and he mentioned something about the fluid. He did also say that usually a rebuilt tranny could be floored day in day out and still deal with it, that's why he thinks nothing is really wrong. With warranty's he said company's usually try and fix the tranny so the person doesn't have to come back...i hope he's right lol.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
the earlier model trannies(94-95) had problems going dry on right hand turns, installing a deep sump pan from a 96-97 car helps alleviate this.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, so you guys don't think it's like the clutch pack or whatever that wears and causes 1st gear to slip..?

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
No, not the clutches. Install the 96-97 pan, check fluid level by shifting thru all the gears then idling in park, with trans warm and on a level surface.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Check the fluid level, make sure it's correct. Check to see if you have a broken motor mount. This happened to me, when I would hit it hard from a stand still, or make a hard right hand turn, sometimes it would flare up like it popped out of gear. I come to find out it had a broken motor mount and was causing a shift in the driveline. Also, there was a problem with the range sensor on the side of the trans.. Was it replaced? There is an upgraded sensor because of this problem. I hope this helps a little. Take care!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts