TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DonLasota, of Lasota Racing Technologies is the man who literally wrote the book on SCT tuning.

I'm writing this in response to some PM's; questions belong in the forums.

https://lasotaracing.com/

Please don't waste his time with bench racing 'what ifs', bullshit, or other trash.

Get your mods together, give him a list, and he can help you out.

It's not cheap, but what is.

Don't ask him to violate any emissions laws on street cars, that's not legal.

I posting this because I want OUR community to be one of the Good Forums he deals with, not a bunch of BS.

This is MY recommendation, I'm a customer, and I'm happy.

Buy his book on tuning, if you're curious; it will answer a LOT of questions.

Grog6

·
Registered
67 Posts
Seeing as how technology has progressed a lot since these cars were new, what devices would you recommend we obtain for tuning purposes? Is there a preferred device, or will the latest model do?

I assume it will of course be an SCT device, but what X and what model is what I'm curious about.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
I’m using Don as we speak for my car. Still working out the bugs

·
Super Moderator
17,037 Posts
Seeing as how technology has progressed a lot since these cars were new, what devices would you recommend we obtain for tuning purposes? Is there a preferred device, or will the latest model do?

I assume it will of course be an SCT device, but what X and what model is what I'm curious about.
All SCT X2,3 and 4 work on these. While technology has indeed progressed, our PCMs are still from the 1990s and the benefits and capabilities of the latest hardware only really translates to the latest model cars. For us there’s no reason to seek out a brand new X4 over a 12 year old X2, as long as they are unlocked.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Not that I have a need for it yet, but what about us poor saps with pre-OBDII computers? I've seen one vendor selling Megasquirt-based devices, but I know very little about the details.

·
Super Moderator
4,939 Posts
Not that I have a need for it yet, but what about us poor saps with pre-OBDII computers? I've seen one vendor selling Megasquirt-based devices, but I know very little about the details.
Moates.NET and a QuarterHorse.

Find a tuner (such as Lasota for an example) and buy the QH from them with a base tune preloaded.

That's what I'm considering doing.

RwP

·
Super Moderator
4,939 Posts
If you give Lasota your info / mods, how much does he typically charge for a mail tune?
Beats me. I'd email and ask him.

From the web site, a QuarterHorse, a registered copy of Binary Editor, his tuning book, and a base tune is $585 currently.

The book is $80, the QH from Moates is $249, Binary Editor is $100 .. this means his tune is about $156 in the bundle.

RwP

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Beats me. I'd email and ask him.

From the web site, a QuarterHorse, a registered copy of Binary Editor, his tuning book, and a base tune is $585 currently.

The book is $80, the QH from Moates is $249, Binary Editor is $100 .. this means his tune is about $156 in the bundle.

RwP
OBD-II, SCT X2 already in hand. Would it still be touching $600?

·
Super Moderator
10,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think just the tune is $150 or so; you have everything else you need.

If there are tunes on your xcal2, be careful loading those; I dropped a valve with a lonnie tune that had no revlimiter, and no forced upshift 2-3. :( You don't know what's in there, unless you ordered it.

You could join the club and get the PRP package; it's about $350, and comes with a starter tune, IIRC.

I seem to recall you being a computer geek too, that's what interested me in the PRP, I like to tweak stuff.

:grin2:

Actuallly, looking at his site, custom tunes start at $50, and go up from there.

https://lasotaracing.com/collections/tuning-files/products/custom-emailed-tune-for-sct-handheld-flashers-50-100-150-cef-format

It looks like $100 for a NA tune, more for SC or turbo swaps.
That's just a tune, to match your mods.

This is the PRP:

https://lasotaracing.com/products/sct-pro-racer-software?variant=14782624333894

It's $419 with the Book; you want the book, lol. That learning curve can get expensive, lol.

You're in CA, IIRC, so you Don't get a starter tune for free, IDK why.

Also, Emission stuff will not be available in your tune, or software. O2, EGR, and IDK what else)
That's for everyone now.

I seem to remember sending a form that my cars are off road only, or something.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I think just the tune is $150 or so; you have everything else you need.

If there are tunes on your xcal2, be careful loading those; I dropped a valve with a lonnie tune that had no revlimiter, and no forced upshift 2-3. :( You don't know what's in there, unless you ordered it.

You could join the club and get the PRP package; it's about $350, and comes with a starter tune, IIRC.

I seem to recall you being a computer geek too, that's what interested me in the PRP, I like to tweak stuff.

:grin2:

Actuallly, looking at his site, custom tunes start at $50, and go up from there.

https://lasotaracing.com/collections/tuning-files/products/custom-emailed-tune-for-sct-handheld-flashers-50-100-150-cef-format

It looks like $100 for a NA tune, more for SC or turbo swaps.
That's just a tune, to match your mods.

This is the PRP:

https://lasotaracing.com/products/sct-pro-racer-software?variant=14782624333894

It's $419 with the Book; you want the book, lol. That learning curve can get expensive, lol.

You're in CA, IIRC, so you Don't get a starter tune for free, IDK why.

Also, Emission stuff will not be available in your tune, or software. O2, EGR, and IDK what else)
That's for everyone now.

I seem to remember sending a form that my cars are off road only, or something.
My tune would be for a 5spd, my few light engine mods (see sig), and potentially 91 octane only.

So seems to be on the cheap side to "get started". I haven't checked yet, but the book may be found on FleeBay for cheaper.

And yea, I'm a bit of a computer geek. :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just got done swapping Emails and one phone call with Don, and will be getting the PRP setup to help with my 95 T-Bird DOHC swap.
He basically said with all my mods from one end to the other he can get the tune close but I will have to finish it. He also said for me to put the factory PCM in the car instead of the Mark 8 because it would operate at the same clock speed and have less of a problem with incompatibility.

I just wanted to say he was the most informative of all the tuners I have had look at my setup, and am very happy with his strait forward answers instead of trying to BS me ..
I mean since I tune late models I hate getting the run around, honesty is a refreshing idea.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I just wanted to let you guys know I got the Pro Racer Package from Lasota and SCT.
Basically, I have a Dongle with my PCM file on it that is editable from SCT.
Then I have a base tune file Don made for me, which I will have to download into the dongle after I get the editing software from SCT.
Once that's done I can edit the file turning off the parts I need and altering the ones I have to keep.
. . . BEWARE the EPA is watching us .. I had to take an EPA certification course and a questioner on what I need this software for before they would even let me register the dongle or down load the editing software ..
Don told me they are really cracking down on the public trying to work around the EPA equipment on cars for public use, and for most situations it's probably best to just have a tune written for the application.

I'll let you know how it goes as I get into it .

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just got my hands on an SCT 3015... is good? I'm hoping the answer is yes, because it needs to be unlocked which will cost more than the tune itself....

·
Super Moderator
10,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's an Xcal3, which will work.

Last I checked, it's the price of a new one to unlock one.

I bought my tuners for $100 each, unlocked.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well I picked it up for $130, supposedly new, but when we found out it had been locked they gave it to me for free since it'll cost more than that to have it unlocked.

·
Super Moderator
10,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you can access the original vehicle, you can unlock it, by returning the original vehicle to stock.

The locking is to prevent one device tuning 100 cars.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Nah that much I know, but the guy was from Dallas (I'm on the other side of the state) and even he didn't know it was locked... not his vehicle it's locked to.

I'll be sending it off sometime soon to get unlocked then going with Don for a much-needed tune.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts