TCCoA Forums banner

281 - 300 of 418 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #281
Generally speaking, we don't want any welding anywhere, right? Or can welding happen on parts that don't touch the body? For example, the spring perch, forks themselves, and piston?

Another idea I'm having right now is to perhaps cut just a portion of the SC300 fork and weld the remaining bits to our stock fork. Or even, just cutting off most of one fork, leaving the other in tact, and just making a tack weld on what's left of the other fork to the body of our stock fork. That way there's a bolt going through one of the SC300 forks and a tack weld to maintain strength to the car.

On the LCA fitment issue, I'd probably bend the fork slightly to get that extra 1/8" vs trying to grind down the UCA bushing. Grinding the LCA bushing tube will just introduce heat and degrade your lower bushing. It's rubber.

1) It also looks like you will need to modify or make a custom adapter washer/adapter for the MN12 shock top to fit the SC300 shaft. That will either be a washer and a metal tube (Randy/MaddMartigan's v1 design) or to weld in a uniball to the shock top like we did with the rev 2 design.
2) Once you have a shock top that will fit the SC300 shaft, you can test fit a stock spring to see if the higher shock base will raise up the nose of the car significantly -- even if you are compressing the spring down MORE to fit the MN12 shock top mount. Your cutting the spring you decide to install would solve the issue.
3) Another way to solve this issue is to see if theres a SC300 coilover kit you want to try. The coilovers lower the car by lowering the spring perch -- exactly what you want to do.

Non of these issues are unsurmountable.
Get to work and let us know how it goes.

One final note: it does take a little bit for suspension to settle so if you swap springs, you might need to wait a little bit or drive it around a little bit before you determine the final ride height.
1. I have no problem modifying the shock mount.

2. If we are manage to fit the SC300 shock into our MN12 shock body, this wouldn't be an issue. This is the end goal still. Unless you have a different idea, that is.

3. It's possible. I'd have to look into.

As for the LCA fitment issue, I don't even know if the fork will go down far enough to make it to the hole for it to bolt up.

Would the Vogtland 1.6" drop spring still be too tall?

If a coilover setup for the SC fits like we hope, I'd be all over that.
The 1.6" Vogtlands are what I have pictured. So yes, they're still too tall.

·
Super Moderator
16,817 Posts
That would probably be fine, the welding I’d avoid would be any place where you can melt an internal seal or burn through, releasing the gas charge. Welding to metal welded to it is much lower risk with good heat control.

I do question though, when you’re modifying it to this degree, is the benefit of using them even there anymore? It still remains to be seen whether or not a shock designed for the rear of a lighter car with a forward weight bias will be any stiffer than any available shock we can easily get. I’ve seen published spring rates (which should theoretically correspond to the shock’s damping ability) range as low as 250lb/in and as high as 500ish. To me 100% of the viability in these shocks are in the lower mount, so lopping any bit of it off really clashes with my sensibilities.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #283
So as I'm searching various vendors (Shock Warehouse, Summit, Andy's Auto Sport, etc.) I'm finding out that their selection of shocks available for the SC300 / SC400 / Supra is becoming limited. Search results seem to be better under the Supra category, but still limited. The Bilstein units with removable spring perch seem to be on backorder but Koni units are still available. While there are still performance options available for the SC300 / Supra chassis, namely KYB AGX and Tokico Illumina, they are specific to that platform. However, the Koni units appear to have the same removable spring perch as the Bilstein units and seem to be available, which is what we desire.

This being said though, I can foresee in the near future that the SC300 / Supra units will also be difficult obtain making us go through this process all over again. Ideally, we need to find a shock from a newer vehicle so that we don't come across this situation for some time to come.

·
Super Moderator
16,817 Posts
MKIV Supras are relatively rare but they have a very strong and healthy following(seen what they’ve been selling for lately?) so backorders and limited stock may be the norm but they have a strong prospect of long term availability unlike the 3000GT, which is about as much of a 90s obscurity as our MN12s :tongue:

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #285
The funny thing about this search on the SC300 is that the performance PNs don't show up for the Lexus platform but do show up for the Supra even though it's the same unit...

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #287

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
You could try this. Trying to decide if I am willing to purchase for a place i don't know... https://www.ajusa.com/bilstein-b6-performance-suspension-strut-cartridge-34-050224.html
Just use a credit card. If they ship, great. If the deal goes south, its not your money (it's BofA/Citibank/etc).
If you are really worried, just don't use a card that you already have setup for automatic billing (so if things do go wrong, you don't need to resetup a bunch of website).

-g

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #291
Try a bid on these, 5 days left. Definitely want to see what they end up going for! :eek:

Joe
Yeah, I saw them first on the TCCOA FB page. They're $500 as of this morning.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,392 Posts
This **** always happens when I don't have any free cash, lol.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #294
So the Mitsubishi Bilstein inserts seem to be available now. I just got off the phone with the vendor, AJ-USA and they have informed me that they have some inventory available of these units. They also stated that there is a short production run from Bilstein for the 35-050224 units but will be going back on backorder in short time.

That being said, I'm going to be purchasing a set of these when I get home tonight. Me doing so though, I know will close a potential performance solution that was getting looked into right now for our platform.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Browsing quick-like on facebook, and noticed a comment regarding the uncanny similarity between the MN12 and the BA/BF/FG Falcon front suspension....

THEY STILL MAKE COILOVERS FOR FALCONS!

If anyone is willing to do the research/science, this may lead to something, no? (One can hope....)

Here's the post:
https://tinyurl.com/y2mjbz3e

·
Super Moderator
16,817 Posts
I had actually heard they were done by the same engineering team. There’s some good possibility they’d fit and work very well - Australia tends to make suspensions HD in all applications, and shocks from a FPV or XR8 should be quite stiff on our chassis. Only issue would be cost shipping time and getting first hand measurements.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,392 Posts
That looks really nice!

It would be cool if we could find some with remote reservoirs that fit; I do see a bit of fade on 116 sometimes in the summer.

Who's going to order the first set from AU? :)

Oh Man! This is my 10,000th post!!
Woo Hoo!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Looking at BA/BF/FG/XR front shocks, stock for stock they look almost identical save for the different size spring perch (smaller on the Falcon).... but one would need to measure the rest to be sure, most importantly the top hat.

Still trying to find some posted measurements

281 - 300 of 418 Posts