·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,617 Posts

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #462
Nice to see they turned out well. He was very open to helping me before I finally got Jay to man up. Are they painted, or anodized? Assuming something to keep the alum vs steel corrosion down. They look good, though!
They are anodized!

Reactions: Zep5.0

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
Very nice man. It should be pretty cool. BTW, you don't technically need spring perches. A cylinder of aluminum about 3" in diameter and 1" tall with a hole drilled through it will server adequately.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #464
Very nice man. It should be pretty cool. BTW, you don't technically need spring perches. A cylinder of aluminum about 3" in diameter and 1" tall with a hole drilled through it will server adequately.
Thanks MM!

I know I don't need spring perches, but spring perches....IDK, it's a mental thing, lol.

Speaking of spring perches, the guy who sold me the subframe bushings may cut a deal with me to be his pilot on making spring perches. He just needs my LCAs and prothane spring isolators for measurements. Being his pilot guy on this, he said he'd only charge me materials cost. I think I'm going to go this route. I know it's going to cost me more than the aluminum cylinder mod that we talked about recently here, but it'll do two things for me:

1. Resolve my OCD of "Didn't get the 'as long as it works' solution", aka, not doing the cylinder "spring perch" mod
2. Not be SCP pricing

Statement --> Question: It appears to me that both left and right LCA pockets are identical. There would be no need for me to bring him both LCAs to make two separate measurements, correct?

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #465
So I brought down my LCAs and cleaned them up. Three passes of cleaning and rinses later and they're pretty clean!

Also brought down my spring isolators so that I can bring out to my guy when he's ready.

My question remains though. Are the LCA pockets identical to each other, or are they left and right designated?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
It looks like your old fittings are in there. Before you install new ones and after you remove them plus that dangling toe comp(?) have you considered painting them? Even a shot of clear varnish might help keep the dirt off.

-g

·
Super Moderator
5,167 Posts
It looks like your old fittings are in there. Before you install new ones and after you remove them plus that dangling toe comp(?) have you considered painting them? Even a shot of clear varnish might help keep the dirt off.

-g
(y)

I had my Mark VIII LCAs powder coated (black to suit me). They won't rust. (They wouldn't have ANYWAY, but still!)

No, they're not on yet. I also have a set of Delrin bushings for them; but I'd rather have them and not have them on yet then need them and not have them.

RwP

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #469

-g
I have some silver paint that I'm going to give them a shot of before putting them on. I'm also considering having them powder coated as well, but I'm not sure how much that will cost. I've never looked into it.

(y)

I had my Mark VIII LCAs powder coated (black to suit me). They won't rust. (They wouldn't have ANYWAY, but still!)

No, they're not on yet. I also have a set of Delrin bushings for them; but I'd rather have them and not have them on yet then need them and not have them.

RwP
I was thinking of painting (maybe powder coating) mine to Old Ford Blue. But seeing the red spring isolators in there, I don't think Old Ford Blue would be a suitable color. Then again, I think the Old Ford Blue theme on a Pearl White car would be epic :)

By chance, do you remember how much powder coating cost you? I'd imagine that costs would be different between here in CA and where you live, but It'd at least give me an idea.

·
Super Moderator
5,167 Posts
I THINK it was $50 for the pair; but as you say, price differences between there and here.

RwP

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #472
You’re in CA, just leave them bare or spray clear over them. I don’t like colors on suspensions other than bushings, springs, shocks and sway bars. Painting stock cast parts seems very poseurish to me
If someone knows how to use Photoshop and can shop Old Ford Blue on the LCAs already on a Pearl White car, that'd be awesome. It would allow me to see the end result without actually having to paint anything.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #474
LOL Matt. I think it looks better. Remember, to each their own.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I THINK it was $50 for the pair; but as you say, price differences between there and here.

RwP
I'm guessing $75-100 in CA.
Maybe on the lower end of that scale in Banning vs Bay Area but there's probably a requirement for some low VOC stuff that would juice the price.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
LOL Matt. I think it looks better. Remember, to each their own.
See? We can agree to disagree without bringing up who we voted for in 2016 ;)

PS. Needs moar stripes. Or a tramp stamp pinstripe on the rear bumper.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #477
Well, out of curiosity, I started looking around. There are three places near where I work and the first one I called gave me a ball park figure of $60 for both LCAs, sand blasting included.

I will call a few other places tomorrow that interest me as well.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I've thought of sanding and polishing mine. Not to a chrome finish, but more of a machined aluminum finish.

461 - 478 of 478 Posts