TCCoA Forums banner

161 - 180 of 418 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
Update:

I haven't contacted any other vendors or manufacturers since we left off on this. However, tonight I logged into my account with Summit to see if I can get some parts for my daily. Out of curiosity, I went to my order status to check on the order and now they've changed it to February 8, 2019! After that back and forth with Bilstein, I somewhat expected this to happen. But the fact that Summit is now in line with Bilstein makes me happy.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,392 Posts
Well, I'm happy to see this day getting closer; My Tokicos are making noise now.

I'm going to go out and crawl around tomorrow, and see if any are leaking.

I have a virgin set of sports ready to go on. :)

I bet Bilstein will be happy they mode "One More Set"; I'd say we have close to 10 orders here.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
And that's just for us MN12 guys doing this Bilstein insert mod. I wonder how many GT3000 people are set on buying a set of these for their car?

I'm thinking of getting a second set of these Bilsteins specifically because of unobtanium.....

·
Super Moderator
3,569 Posts
And that's just for us MN12 guys doing this Bilstein insert mod. I wonder how many GT3000 people are set on buying a set of these for their car?

I'm thinking of getting a second set of these Bilsteins specifically because of unobtanium.....
I really think I could make something else when needed. The whole QA1 thing from SuperCoupePerformance has inspired me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
heavy fork idea

why not pop the lower bushing out and make a new lower mount. them lower cast forks from other cars are just adding weight to the car. With the different lower mount it can possibly open up better and newer shock avenues.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
why not pop the lower bushing out and make a new lower mount. them lower cast forks from other cars are just adding weight to the car. With the different lower mount it can possibly open up better and newer shock avenues.
The problem with a fork idea (while great) is that it doesn't solve the part of where the spring would be installed to.

The insert idea is basically using the OEM strut to house the insert whilst the oem strut is still used for spring perch so the spring can still be supported.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I see the OEM housing/new insert as a problem in itself if the inserts cant be found. I'm thinking that the idea of adapting a new assembly from a different and popular vehicle is more feasible.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
Oh, I wholeheartedly agree with you on that. If supply is unobtainium, then something else must be created for us enthusiasts. @MaddMartigan has already stated that he's got something in mind to attempt to bring about a resolution using a different adaptation inspired by the QA1 coilover setup.

·
Super Moderator
3,569 Posts
Honestly, I can see building a configuration where a bottom mount is made to work like it currently does but it becomes the spring perch. The shock you could use is the kind that has the T shape on the end and allows it to bolt directly to that mount/perch. This configuration could also allow a stock style top mount.

The biggest problems with all of these ideas is the overall shock travel, the length of the assembly, etc. When you start from scratch on the design you have to start taking all kinds of measurements and start doing a lot of custom fabrication. That might be OK for me since I would be willing to do it one time for myself but I can't see doing it more than once. I'm not a professional by any stretch and I don't have professional tools. The benefits of taking the kind of route we've taken is that it reuses a lot of the stock parts and design so that you only have to worry about the damper and not everything else.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
So February 8th came and went, and they pushed my ETA to March 6. It's not even March yet, and my order has been pushed back to April 1st .

·
Super Moderator
10,392 Posts
In addition to the like button, we need a "That Sucks!" button.

:(

Ain't no way I'm likin' that!

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
As been mentioned in the other thread that some of you are viewing / posting in, I've been waiting on my order now since late September. I haven't canceled the order "just in case".

I've also learned in that same thread that I have to get spring perches as I only have the rear isolators. Since I'll be replacing the stock rear LCAs with MK-VIII LCAs, I guess I need to find out what spring perches I need to get. @Grog6 said that aluminum pucks can be used in that same thread, but that a hole would need to be drilled so that a bolt can come through? I guess I would need to know how that setup works and I'll get it done. Or if someone can tell me what dimensions I need exactly I could take that info down to a CNC shop local to me and have them made for me. The third option would be that someone point me in the direction of a ready to go solution for me. The thing that confuses me about the perches is that @Irv's post above Grog's does not seem to be secured to the LCA. Is it possible for the perch to just "sit there" in the LCA cup?

In other news related to my suspension build, I managed to score a set of outer tie rods for cheap; ACDelco Pro series tie rods. RA had a clearance sale on them for $10.(and change)/ea whereas these are typically in the $22/ea range. For sub $30 shipped, I decided to get them.

Separately, I have another project going on for Pearl at the same time. The only limiting factor on having that project moving is money. Otherwise, I'd have everything for that project, be taking pictures and posting about it. Then, I'd just be waiting on these damned front struts to have the car back on the road, lol.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,392 Posts
I will repost pix tomorrow, I'm going to have to work on my server; it apparently got upgraded and rebooted without my permission, which has everything all fucked up.

I've got a 15yo 20TB server holding 30 years worth of **** in RAID 5; it's finicky with modern win7. Worked way better with XP64, so I may downgrade. Silicon Image still rocks after all this time. :)

The pix WERE in my gallery, which apparently got deleted; TM and I have asked WTF? and got no answer from the peeps that bought the place.

On that note, Thanks, Sir Will! Nothing but Love, Motherfucker!! Imagine the universal "You're #1 in my book!" hand signal that goes with that.
(We tried to buy it, but got fucked.)

Anyway; I bought 3" thick 3" diameter aluminum pucks, and drilled 3/8" holes in them to lighten them more, drilled and threaded the center for a 5/8" bolt, and bolted them in.

(I'll loan the tap to well known members. I also have the tap for the additional temp sensor for PI intakes.)

I've had No issues whatsoever from those pucks.

Notes: They don't need to be 3" thick, they need to be slightly thicker than the poly insulators, tho, or they walk.

The Walking I can feel; especially when it settles back into position in a curve, doing illegal ****. :surprise:

I would use at least 2" thick. :grin2:

Note2: you will need to add washers to the Mark LCAs, with the poly, because you don't want them moving forward/backwards ~.25"

·
Super Moderator
4,898 Posts
Note2: you will need to add washers to the Mark LCAs, with the poly, because you don't want them moving forward/backwards ~.25"
Other possibility: Beat the crap out of a old toe compensator to get the spherical bushing out, use that for the spacer.

Even cheaper since you'll be pulling an old toe comp out.

Or just put a new toe comp in.

RwP

·
Super Moderator
10,392 Posts
Other possibility: Beat the crap out of a old toe compensator to get the spherical bushing out, use that for the spacer.

Even cheaper since you'll be pulling an old toe comp out.

Or just put a new toe comp in.

RwP
I used the Toe compensators; the rear end feels too loose without them, even with poly.

GM said he didn't use them, IIRC; but I definitely needed them, IMHO.

There's still a slight gap.

Also, I needed 16" wheels to clear; one side rubbed a bolt.

·
Super Moderator
10,392 Posts
Are you using 15" wheels?

I thought the og wheels would work, but it rubs.

161 - 180 of 418 Posts