TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so i've read the tech articles, and tried my hardest to solve this issue myself, but it's not working out. I've recently lowered my cougar with KONI shocks and 1.6" Vogtland lowering springs...but when I try to install the new shorter rear sway bar end links, I can't get them in enough to get the nut on the end link even with the entire weight on the car and 3 people sitting in my trunk haha. Can anyone help me here, it's starting to annoy me.

Parts:
- Stock Rear Sway Bar
- SCP Shorter Rear Sway Bar End Links

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Are you trying to put them on one at a time? You should take both of them off at the same time, and install both of the new shorter ones at the same time.

-Rob

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep I did both, because with both off the sway bar moves up and down freely, but even with both in at one time, I can't get the nut on the top of the sway bar links.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I don't know what to tell you other than to check and see if it is binding or hitting anything or binding in the rubber bushings.

-Rob

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
had a similar problem on a friend of mine 94 gm 1500 truck 2 weekends ago

his sway bar end link bushings were SHOT. So we went to autozone and got the universal sway bar bushings kit in red polyurethane. As you I tried everything on earth to get those bushings in there and it just wouldn't work. Upon closer examination I discovered the problem.

The poly bushings were thicker than the oem bushings so I had to trim the center sleeve to bring the bushings back down to the proper load height.

He then had to stand on the opposite side of the truck while I bolted the new bushings in :)

all is well truck drives excellent and doesn't handle like a boat anymore

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea I bought the other links from advance auto when i wouldn't pass inspection a few months ago because of my "lollipop" sway bar joints. So I bolted in the advance ones and lowered the car the next week. Tried super hard to get the shorter ones in there....I really want to use the polyethylene ones over the red ones...but I might just trim the black ones down till they fit.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I did this to my bird a few weeks ago...same part. I just had another guy twist down on the sway bar, enough to get the threads in the mounting bracket and that was it.

·
Super Moderator
12,551 Posts
Did you get the end links from Addco or another source?

The one's that came with my bar from Addco worked fine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If im understanding right I had the same problem with these links as well...i didn't lower the suspension or anything however I believe I took the strut assembly out and then put the links in and reinstalled my strut assembly. You might want to use a jack once the strut is off

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Car was completely ON the ground with 3 people sitting in my trunk...still couldn't get them in. Got them from Bill at SCP

·
Banned
613 Posts
+2

stick with OEM bushings and take both end links at the same time. make sure rear tires are flat on lift rack not swaying free.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts