TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first start driving in the morning, or after the car has sat for awhile, the speedo will work fine. But after roughly 6 minutes or so, every time, it will start to give out, dropping to zero, then back up to whatever speed I am at, then back to zero, till finally it goes to zero then stops functioning altogether. I am not sure if it is the signal coming from the speed sender/sensor on the tranny (5speed) or the speedo itself. My cruise control will continue to function, if that matters at all. Also, all of m gauges seem to read low, oil pressure, temp, and the fuel runs out just above the red line above 'E'. Can anyone offer any advice here?

Thanks

Phil Stocker

·
Registered
505 Posts
Me too

My speedo/odom failed on my '95LX. There was a subtle grinding sound in the dash for about 2 months before it finally quit.

It has been kinda fun going to shops and having them read the new odometer with only 7500 miles on it.:) Usually I get a strange look before I tell them what happened.

(They put a sticker on the door panel that has the old milage)

I don't remember what it cost to get it replaced, but I know it wasn't cheap. (I'm at work and don't have my car paperwork handy.)

·
Banned
1,064 Posts
When I was installing the chip from Dennis I bumbed one of my ghetto-rigged interior lights and blew 3 fuses........One of them caused my speedo to go. I would check for a loose electrical connection in the dash. This could very well be your problem and a lot cheaper than getting a new one if a loose wire is your only problem. With all of your gauges reading low.......yeah......that sounds electrical to me if they all happened to do this at the same time.
--Craig

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I got a speedo from a 96 bird that im selling if you interested. Just PM me

Do the lights light up on the guages? I would say if the lights work and the speedo doesn't it would be the speedo. Would about the tach and other guages? do they all work?

If the lights dont work I would says its an fuse problem or something

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
speedo problems in my 89 SC

I did a code check tonight because my 'check engine' light kept coming on. It revealed a code 29 or loss of signal from Vehicle Speed Sensor. I guess that would explain why my speedo doesn't work. Also, I am getting a code 41 (oxygen sensor detects lean condition on right bank). I think the problem is in the speed sensor, what do you think?

Thanks

Phil Stocker

1 - 5 of 5 Posts