TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Stroked and Blown
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, I recieved my 3.8 single-ported heads from a '98 Mustang in the mail. I also have the upper and lower intakes off of the junked '96 Tbird 3.8. So, I will be taking them over to the machine shop soon.

How much should I get these ported over? Are there any certain specifications I need to tell the dude? Basically, I want my car to have alot more power...but I don't want it to be strictly a drag car. I want it to stay street legal and reliable but have alot more power.

How far should I get these ported?

Also, when I go to buy the gasket set, are the head gaskets for the 96 Tbirds/98 Mustangs the same? I know the heads are pretty much the same.

Also, I need the ARP Studs for a 96 Tbird 3.8 block, correct?, regardless if the heads are 98 Mustang.
I'm not going to get the torque to yield head bolts.

Thanks

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
i had the 2.8s on my 3.8. they work, ok? the tbird studs are too long and need to be clearanced cuz they interfere with the exhaust manifold studs, or so i read. plus, the 2.8 studs are about $40 cheaper than the tbird ones.

your call, man.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
lol. he wouldnt have told you if that wasnt the case, dude... :D if you want power.... you'll need two more cylinders, or a forged bottom end and LOTS of boost... so.. you want pep... not power. correct?

·
Stroked and Blown
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yeah, sure, thats it?:confused: Anyways, I may change the cam too and throttle body but I'm not sure yet. Anyways, do you know how much I should get them ported?

BTW-big mike, I noticed you have a 93 Tbird. Mine's a 96. I will ask summit if the 2.8 Chevy head studs will still work when I call them.

EDIT-I just called summit and ARP. Summit doesn't carry them supoposedly and ARP doesn't even have Ford 3.8 or Chevy 2.8 head studs listed in their system...:confused: :mad:

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
he meant stock head studs for a 2.8, i believe.

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
well, ill be damned. i dont see them on summit either.

google "arp head studs chevrolet 2.8", click the first link, and get the HEX head, $82 ones. better yet, i still have my arp studs for sale. less than 2k miles on them. shoot me $60 and they are yours. and YES, they are reusable.

what makes you think summit knows? i, and a couple other guys, have used these studs on our 3.8s with no problems. hell, even look on sccoa. the year doesnt matter, as long as it's for a ford 3.8.

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
I'm excited as well. I just purchased my forged internals for the new engine I will be building. Got the pistons, rods, 4.2 crank, and bearings for about $1462 shipped.

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
I'd just do a little smoothing in the bowls and gasket match the intake runners. DO NOT hog out the exhaust ports, just clean them up a little.

-Rod

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
The Chevy ARP Head studs for the 2.8 are part number 233-4003 .. not sure if thats 6 or 12 point, but one is cheaper than the other, it just depends which type of socket you want to use on it.
The Ford 3.8 SC ARP studs are 153-4001, and are a little taller, they will require you to grind the exhaust manifold for clearance - even though ARP was supposed to have taken care of this problem.

It would also be a good idea to chase your threads with a bottoming tap, so you can thread the studs all the way down without any interference.

- Dan

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts