TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after 103 thousand miles, my tranny died on me. There is hope thoe, I am not letting my old thunderchicken go, I am getting it rebuilt. Any suggestions on any upgrades(Performance) that I can add to keep my 97 T-bird 4.6 tranny healthy.
keep in mind I am 18, so I do drive like it. what Can I do to get the most out of it?
Thank u so much for your guys help.
I should be back in action by the end of the week.

-Dennis Stiles

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
just a suggestion, but you might be able to pick up a tranny from the bone yard cheaper than getting your old one rebuilt. and depending on the year of the "new" tranny you wouldnt have to upgrade much of anything.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Have it rebuilt to j-mod specs of course. Picking up a 99+ would be good too.

·
8,239 Posts
don't rebuild it.

Remove your transmission and melt it down into something useful like a boat anchor.

Call your greenleaf rep and either go with a 98 Mark8, 99+ GT, or 01 F150 4r70w.

Read up on what is required to make one of these transmissions work.

JH

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
I agree with Justin. I picked up an 02 GT trans with 5,000 miles on it for $650 shipped to my door with the torque converter

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, but I am not paying for the rebuild, also, It needs to be done soon(I am a devilery man for a pizza+sub place) so any suggestions, that being taken into account? also, what are the details of the famed "J-Mod"?
Thanx
-Dennis

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
For all questions pertainign to the J-mod, check out the tech section that can be accessed from the front page.

-Miller

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Yeah, getting a Greenleaf tranny would be better than a rebuild, unless you upgrade to 98/99 specs during the rebuild. The J-Mod is a shift kit utilizing all Ford OEM parts, and is better then say, a TransGo, due to the fact that the mods are done in such a way as to not have any negative effects on other parts of the trans. If you get a 98+ trans, all you have to do to make it work is to repin the electrical connector and swap over the MLPS and TCC solenoid from the 97 trans to the new trans. Regardless of what you do, an aftermarket trans cooler is a must-have if you want long trans life.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Do a search on EBAY.
I found many, even one that had a warrantee and free shipping , or maybe one or the other.

Prices are very reasonable.

rm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts