TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i borrowed my buddys dremel kit to cut open sarah's clear corners so i could clean off spots that have accumulated inside on the lens. needless to say, i was unsuccessful at cleaning off the spots, so i am buying her a near new set as a result of my unsuccessful attempts.

as far as cutting them open is concerned, i practiced on my old driver side corner housing first. the cutting disk cut through the plastic with ease at a low speed. if you have a steady hand and patience, cutting open corners is a breeze. its a good idea to determine what angles to cut at before you start. i chose to cut out the "floor" part of the housing since trying to cut off the actual lens would be tricky with a dremel, and water cannot reach the cuts and end up inside the housing with it installed on the car.

so without further ado, heres some pics of my trials.

89-95 corner

sarah's corner (96-97)

i also attempted to remove the orange part of my stock corner. i stuck a screwdriver in a small gap and pried gently and the entire piece came off. the cracks you see are from a minor accident. instead of buying a new corner, i glued the pieces back together.

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
Good stuff.
What do you think would be the best approach for the '96-'97 corner lenses for painting them black?
I took mine off and inspected them... I'm scared to death of Dremel'ing them open.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I didn't dremel my corners open, I have a 93 by the way. I just pryed the whole lense off. It was easy, I cleaned it up and even sprayed part of it to match the car and then siliconed it all back together. I did the same with my headlights, I very very carefully pryed the lense right off the front of the assembly and then cleaned them up and siliconed them back together. It rained like crazy around here the same night and no water got in. I can put up pictures if you like.

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i did notice that the 89-95 corners are glued or siliconed together, so they may be easier to take apart. i believe THUNDRN1 took apart his 96+ corners with a dremel, and got the whole lens off. search for his user name, and i think it shows you how to do it on his website.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts