TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 234 Posts

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know, I will be putting/having a set of brand new 38cc Trick Flow heads installed on my NPI short block sometime when Robert and I have the time and after he recieves the merchandise. My calculated compression ratio comes out to 11.2:1. This will be done on my mostly original 160k mile NPI motor. I'll of course be running 93 on the street and E85 when I want to go fast/ keep things clean. I predict that I will put down at least 250 rwhp, if not more. This ought to make this thing pretty fun. Since I've realized how much money is involved, I reealize I should have saved the money and had this done sooner, especially since I now know what E85 can do. This should be pretty fun, I'm really excited. Maybe this slug will get faster. lol

·
Super Moderator
12,083 Posts
Interesting approach. Yea, It'll be fun for sure. Ian needs to get his act together to even attempt to keep up with you. Otherwise you're going to blow him away.

Has he made any plans to get those heads he bought off of me put on his car yet?

·
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting approach. Yea, It'll be fun for sure. Ian needs to get his act together to even attempt to keep up with you. Otherwise you're going to blow him away.

Has he made any plans to get those heads he bought off of me put on his car yet?
I don't think he's said anything yet, at least not to me.

GM, there will be pics. I'm just making the thread because I'm so stoked!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts

There is no real rivalry between Mike and I, if he's faster than me I'm happy for him. I do have plans for my ride, but I'm taking my time and going step by step, still mapping out how I want to work my build, and finances. Plus there are other aspects of the car that take precedence such as my new upper shock mounts, new passenger motor mount, and a new airbag module, which puts go fast goodies on hold until the car is good to go mechanically.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Unless he changes I'm pretty sure stock manifolds with pi cams, I'm sure it will make near 300 rwhp

·
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unless he changes I'm pretty sure stock manifolds with pi cams, I'm sure it will make near 300 rwhp
Yup, I can only afford to do so much at once. After this, exhaust will come. Just gotta make the money again so I can do it.

Your only thinking 250rwhp with 38cc trick flow heads? I was thinking more than that especially with e85. Either way tho it will be a great upgrade.
I didn't want to be too optimistic. If Rob says close to 300 rwhp, I'll take it. It's going to be a night and day difference.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
300 with the stock PI cams, stock PI intake, and stock MN12 exhaust manifolds? Maybe at the crankshaft..........I have seen enough TFS combos come together to know they don't add much over a well ported PI head unless its a big bore and/or going over 7000 RPM (there are plenty to say they add zero but I won't go there.......) Make sure you degree in the PI cams as one side will be retarded ~6 and one advanced ~6 with the TFS cam tunnel relocation.

I'm thinking 250-260 rwhp because the intake and exhaust will hold you back somewhat. Time to crunch some numbers...

This is my thinking, fixing the middle of the cork still doesn't fix the ends of the cork.

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,265 Posts
Sorry, TFS 38cc FTW!!!!With the heads off put on Kooks headers.

Dont wait.

You will not be dissapointed.

I'm removing the cork on mine as we speak.

·
Super Moderator
12,083 Posts
Like these ... only 6 cc smaller. :D

·
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry, TFS 38cc FTW!!!!With the heads off put on Kooks headers.

Dont wait.

You will not be dissapointed.

I'm removing the cork on mine as we speak.
Can't afford to...unless you want to pay me. lol

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Honestly for $2K of TFS heads I would instead spend $1K on a set of PI heads and $1K on a set of Kooks. The Kooks are where its at to get some NA love on this chassis IMHO. It will be interesting to see what it does, I can't think of anyone that has done TFS heads with stock PI cams before much less stock exhaust manifolds.

·
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That can come later. Money has already left my hands. I'll be happy with 300 crank hp. It'll get me into the 13's.

·
Super Moderator
12,083 Posts
Honestly for $2K of TFS heads I would instead spend $1K on a set of PI heads and $1K on a set of Kooks. The Kooks are where its at to get some NA love on this chassis IMHO. It will be interesting to see what it does, I can't think of anyone that has done TFS heads with stock PI cams before much less stock exhaust manifolds.
You got that right Nick. It was mentioned earlier that TF heads without headers, cams, forced induction, etc. to take advantage of the addl. flow is a waste of money and resources.

Now, if you plan to add all of that later of course it's just a first step in the process. However, to put the heads on and then go back and add the other parts later is a waste of time and energy IMHO.

You might as well do all of those things at once and be done with it instead of adding parts piece meal.

·
Super Moderator
9,312 Posts
That can come later. Money has already left my hands. I'll be happy with 300 crank hp. It'll get me into the 13's.
That's just about what I'm making now - with ported heads, less than half a point of compression less than your setup, cams two steps above PI cams and ported exhaust manifolds. If you can pull it off with PI cams and stock exhaust manifolds, that'd be awesome - but I think past a certain point the heads aren't the restriction and the exhaust manifolds are. You can't take advantage of great flow without a good cam, and you can't take advantage of a great cam without great flow. It's a vicious cycle. Don't get me wrong - I'm anxious to see what the combo does.

The more time goes by the more I wish I would have done headers of some sort... :bangwall:

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Nick, check your PMs on the "other" forum, please.

Maybe this slug will get faster. lol

It will. But to see maximum benefit, you need to wind out 3rd gear. Won't be able to do so with 3.73s added to the fact that your powerband will be shifted higher. You need to start thinking about shortening your rear gears to see maximum benefit. Of course it will "work" with less optimized parts, but why not get your money's worth :)

1 - 20 of 234 Posts