TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, its not for me personaly, I'm a lost cause. The weight loss goal is for my car. I am "The Guardrail Guy" and racing season is over. Now I have all winter to work on this thing and get it built the way I wanted to, but just didnt have the time. Tonight I scaled the car with my dad's trick set of "Rebco" scales that he uses on his race cars. The total weight of a 95 LX 4.6 with a gutted interior (only thing left is the dash and an aluminum racing seat) is a whopping 3365LBS. My goal, belive it or not is 3000LBS. It may sound like a lot, but I have faith. I looked through the article on the main page, and I'm going to scrape up as much of the sound proofing as possible. I'm going to cut out the inner pannel on the RF door, and stuff like that. I also need to target my left side and rear weight %. My current left side is 51%, and my rear is 39%. I need to get my rear % closer to 50%, and get as much left side as possible. I am going to relocate the battery to the LR, and hopefully put a fuel cell in, which will move the weight more to the rear. This may seem like a random rant, and it kind of is, but maybe, just maybe, there is someone else is in the same boat.

Thanks for wasting your time!

Brandon

·
The Parts Guy
7,306 Posts
Kevin Leitem's car (check it out over at sccoa) weighed in at something like 3100 lbs with him in it last weekend at the SC/XR7 Shootout. You may want to see if he can give you any pointers.

-Rod

·
The Parts Guy
7,306 Posts
Is this a track car or a street/strip?

My Mustang is down to 2700 with fumes in the gas tank :cool:
We're talking about MN12's here, not Fox bodies.

IIRC, Brandon's car is a dirt/circle track car. Kevin Leitem's SC is a drag car.

-Rod

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
BLittle500 said:
First off, its not for me personaly, I'm a lost cause.
HAHA. thats funny. Sorry, i cant contribute to how to loss more weight. Im sure you replaced all the glass with plastic, as that glass is heavy.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to make you guys cry:

YES, my wheels are on backwards, and you know what, I have a cougar "spoke" RR wheel on too!
Just pokin fun at the guys that are always like "your wheel is on backwards" ;-)

I forgot to mention:

No glass at all (no replacement either, other than the screen in front of me)
Interior does have a 4 pt rool bar
And a piece of thin aluminum along the back fire wall (I guess thats what you would call it)

Thanks again for the info so far guys,

Brandon

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Reducing weight

~~Hello

How did your season end up?
Mine not great. We finished 29th out of 45 cars.
Considered I seized my 351W early in the season, blew the rings out of my back-up(302). Refreshed the back-up(302). Then the rain came. Rained 5 out of 7 weeks. OOPS, End of the season.

Back to the the weight reduction.

We removed the front bumper crush mesh & cut off the bottom 1/2 of the front bumper. About 40+lb of front weight. Can you remove the hood webbing? Removing sound stuff is about 10+lbs. Loosing the inner door supports is huge! gutted both doors & cut them down lost over 75lbs.

We are going to change the nose to an aftermarket one. Hoping for weight reduction there & better air flow.

What can you modify? or remove?

I am building a 96 for next season. Going to use different bars for the frame, moving the role cage back about 5 inches. Changing some bars(more stiffness than weight). I have to run 3400lbs.(rule) we are about 47% rear weight(lead added) & must run max 51.0% left side. at 51.3%(OOPS)

Did you go with the ranger steel wheels yet? I am going the change to the 4.5in. bolt pattern, & Get a coupe of racing wheels. right side.

Keep in touch. [email protected]
Maybe we can get together before next season & compare notes.

PAUL

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
poor bird... it's naked! give that thing some feathers, why dont ya?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts