TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just acquired a 1995 Thunderbird with the 4.6 V8. I got it real cheap because it has serious driveability problems. To make a long story short, I have good compression on all cylinders. I think it is some kind of vaccum leak. I have almost as much vaccum in the crankcase as I do in the intake manifold. As a matter of fact the engine will stall when you remove the oil filler cap. I need some ideas.

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
PCV stuck wide open mabey.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that's what I thought. Disconnected it and plugged the line, the vaccum is still there.

·
Registered
620 Posts
try pulling the breather line that runs from the valve cover to the in take tube and plug it off

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did that too. It has vaccum on it, also. When it was connected to the intake tube was giving the mass air flow sensor fits.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
My brother's 95 and my 97 developed a leak on the evaporator line. At least that's where I think it was if I remember right. There are some hard lines (black plastic) that are connected by a rubber elbow that tends to go bad on the passenger side valve cover. You will have to remove the violin case deal to get to it on a 95 most likely, but look between the valve cover and the passenger side shock tower. They are mounted to the inside of the tower.

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Also, check the back of the DPFE. I've had that vacuum hose fall off once, took a while to figure that out.

Pete

·
5,650 Posts
Also, check the back of the DPFE. I've had that vacuum hose fall off once, took a while to figure that out.

Pete
Those aren't vacuum lines. They wouldn't be related to his problem.

I agree with the others though. Check the hoses running from the manifold to the EVAP components near the front bumper. Also check the hard lines near the firewall as well as the vacuum tee.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies!

Ok, I'll check that stuff. How is the vaccum being produced in the crankcase, if I disable the PVC? It acts like removing the oil filler cap is like creating a vaccum leak. Perhaps, an intake leak??

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Those aren't vacuum lines. They wouldn't be related to his problem.

I agree with the others though. Check the hoses running from the manifold to the EVAP components near the front bumper. Also check the hard lines near the firewall as well as the vacuum tee.
Yeah, I know it's not part of the vacuum system, but when that hose was off and the car would go past about 1200 RPM, you'd hear a sucking sound and the car would stumble. That was when it would command EGR to kick in, but the leak would cause other problems.

Pete

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Problem Update

Found the problem!!! Pieces of the intake valve have taken residence inside the intake manifold........ oh yeah...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts