TCCoA Forums banner

Mystery vibration solved and another new problem arose

917 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Rodeo Joe 
#1 ·
I own a 1993 Thunderbird LX 3.8L V6, It has been parked and non oped for a while due to a mystery vibration occurring.

My mech, Ken Loyd, after a long long brainstorm finally figured out the problem.
It was the oil pump and the intermediate oil pump shaft the one in between the distributor and the oil pump which I did not know existed until we got into the discovery.

So we changed the oil pump and the shaft and since we had the timing cover off also replaced the timing chain and the timing gears. So we finally get every thing back together and start up the car and the oil starts blowing out of the oil filter seal. I got a new filter tried again and same problem.

Inside the timing cover is a spring that is supposed to act as a pressure relief, that was changed; I am wondering if we should have left the old one in. Oh, and one other thing, in the Haynes guide says to use Vaseline to prime the oil pump, I think that was a bad idea as well.

Any input on solving the too much oil pressure issue would be appreciated.

#2 ·
How far did you hammer in the relief cap? It should be pretty much flush with the housing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.