TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Resident drifter
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so I took a stopwatch and timed it. we get 6 minutes of racing, and about 2 1/2 minutes of commercials. wtf???? Its barely enough time to cover one set of pit stops and then, its back to comercial.:thumbsd:

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
We Demand Commercial Free!!!!

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Stolen from Jayski, which was attributed to another web site:
Commercial breakdown for the Auto Club 500:
Total number of commercials: 130
Total number of companies or entities advertised: 58
Total number of brief promos of products/services during the race broadcast: 32
Total number of companies or entities advertised in brief promos or crawlers: 29
Start time to record race/commercial periods: 3:27 P.M.
End time to record race/commercial periods: 7:39 P.M.
Total minutes: 252
Minutes of race broadcast: 190
Minutes of commercials: 62
so basically exactly 1/4 of the race was commercials (the rest wasn't necessarily racing, it also includes the talking heads, the corn dog fight, etc).

That is why I record the races on my Dish DVR, and start watching about 45/60 minutes after the green flag falls. I start off watching it, skip the commercials and the corn dog duel, maybe bits of the race (I try not to do that) and end around when it should end. Less chances to get snacks and take care of business, but another hour at the beginning to do stuff.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
it also seems like they always stick up for gordon and his team. most of them were illegal and they just talk them up. they are just puppets for nascar. look at the car of tomorrow and all the problems. harvicks door insulation caught on fire and D.W. says that doesnt happen. what the hell!?! there it was clear as day burning!! the fuel pump cables suck. the exhaust is junk, and in wrecks the trunk lid flies off. i try not to watch anymore cause it makes me mad. its all about the money and that ruins the sport imo. when i was little and watched it with my dad, it was awesome and all about the racing. dale sr. would not like how things are.

·
Resident drifter
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it also seems like they always stick up for gordon and his team. most of them were illegal and they just talk them up. they are just puppets for nascar. look at the car of tomorrow and all the problems. harvicks door insulation caught on fire and D.W. says that doesnt happen. what the hell!?! there it was clear as day burning!! the fuel pump cables suck. the exhaust is junk, and in wrecks the trunk lid flies off. i try not to watch anymore cause it makes me mad. its all about the money and that ruins the sport imo. when i was little and watched it with my dad, it was awesome and all about the racing. dale sr. would not like how things are.
its not that they stick up for gordons team, they just have to even out the negativity that he gets from all the dale jr people (85% of nascar "fans"). it did seem like there were less commercials this week. your right about earnhardt, though. the sport would be a lot better if he was still here.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I cant stand NASCAR...

·
Registered
600 Posts
Ok so I don't watch NASCAR as much anymore for some reasons stated above. I turned on a race the other day and saw that the cars have riceresque wings on them. What did I miss?

·
Resident drifter
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thats what is refered to as the "turd of tomorrow". its safer and supposed to bring better racing. basically brian france has been screwing up nascar since he got the job and invented the "chase". since then, its been goin down hill.

·
Registered
128 Posts
thats what is refered to as the "turd of tomorrow". its safer and supposed to bring better racing. basically brian france has been screwing up nascar since he got the job and invented the "chase". since then, its been goin down hill.
Sadly NASCAR went the route so many American Businesses go when "The Big Man" retires or croaks. They hire his kid and then Junior FUBARs everything. It's pretty much little Brian trying to do something big just for the sake of doing something big.

As for the chase I thought that was a good idea because then it prevented somebody from scoring a zillion points and having the championship already won half way through the season. They should have left it at 10 drivers instead of 12 but you know they only changed the rules because their golden boy "Smoke "failed to get in twice already.

·
Resident drifter
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sadly NASCAR went the route so many American Businesses go when "The Big Man" retires or croaks. They hire his kid and then Junior FUBARs everything. It's pretty much little Brian trying to do something big just for the sake of doing something big.

As for the chase I thought that was a good idea because then it prevented somebody from scoring a zillion points and having the championship already won half way through the season. They should have left it at 10 drivers instead of 12 but you know they only changed the rules because their golden boy "Smoke "failed to get in twice already.
the chase in my opinion takes away from what the driver accomplishes all year. they could have an awesome season like gordon in 01 or kenseth in 03 and be like 300 points ahead, then the chase takes that away. then maybe the driver has 2 bad races at the end of the season and loses the championship he deserves. this almost happened to johnson last year. its too much of a show and not as much of a race now. they even tell the drivers in the meeting that they are putting on a show and it should be treated as such. o well, at least its not quite as political as f1...yet.

·
Registered
406 Posts
It's just as bad on NBC.

What ticks me off is the fact that the in-car coverage moved over to DirectTV. I liked it when it was on cable...that was a $74 a year charge I was glad to pay...when the commercials came on, switch over to the uninterrupted incar coverage for 6-7 different drivers.

·
Registered
406 Posts
To add, yes, the chase sucks.

Gordon would have one the 2004 title under the old rules.

Tony Stewart would have probably won it last year - if not, he'd have been damn close.

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
You know why they put so many commercials in? Because people will get bored and go outside or change the channel without them. There is one group of people that complain about Nascar coverage and that is a shrinking group of diehards. Face it, Nascar sold its soul a long time ago and is not the same body it used to be.

It's a business plain and simple, and if you look at it from that standpoint, they're making the right moves; they're making money hand over fist compared to what they did back in the '60s and '70s, the decades that those same diehards wish Nascar would go back to.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts