TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've read through the section here on the common transmission leaks for this transmission. Judging by the info presented I assume mines either TC seal or front pump seal. I understand how i'll have to drop my transmission and go from there to fix it, and I notice some talk about just upgrading the transmission. The 02 crown vic transmission from what I understand is the last year compatible transmission, but what if I want a better build transmission? what are some other great options for transmissions for these cars, auto or manual.

Also, if anyone has done the front pump seal or TC seal, are there any complications ill have to tackle along the way? and is there anything else I should look at taking care of while its down, aside of a j-mod?

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,513 Posts
Any non police or town car 98+ 4R70w is a good trans with good hardpoints. In the event of a build a 98+ is still best to start out with (94/5s are junk). You'll want to upgrade the converter while you're here.

There's a few manual transmissions that can work, T45s, TR3650s, T56, TR6060s ect. But they'll all require some degree of fabrication to work.

·
Registered
789 Posts
drop the tranny, the front seal pops out and the new one pops in, just make sure the convertor is fully seated.. you'll know when it is. The seal is like a ~$10 part. Do do a jmod while your in there though

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
drop the tranny, the front seal pops out and the new one pops in, just make sure the convertor is fully seated.. you'll know when it is. The seal is like a ~$10 part. Do do a jmod while your in there though
I always put a little RTV Black around the edge when I press a seal in - I have seen them leak around the outside where they are pressed into the pump casing (and the rear seal around the tail shaft extension).

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,526 Posts
It primarily involves pulling the valve body and enlarging a few holes in the separator plate to enhance clutch pack engagement/disengagement. This reduces wear and heat and increases the lifespan of both the fluid and transmission. It also firms up the shifts. The first time I did it, it took me about 3 hours - with the trans in the car.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
i see alot about doing a jmod, how complicated is that to do while its all dropped?
First time it took me about 4 hours, I just removed the Jmod and put it back to stock(mother is buying the car from me and did not want the shift kit in it) and it took me about 1.5 hours to return it to stock. All in all it's simple with a kit from RobertP or DirtyDog. Takes the guess work out of the job.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts