TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a set of Lincoln Navigator PI heads fit on my 4.6L without any modifications. If the heads come with cams what else will I need for the install aside from PI intake and gaskets? Will I need new sprockets or will my stock ones work? Also will I need new valve covers?

Thanks,
Kevin M

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've worked on a few navis' mostly 5.4s but the 4.6 engine to the best of knowlege is the same yes you will need new valve covers due to the high rise oil filler neck and check the bolts it something like 11 bolt and 14 bolt valve covers for the pi heads.
other than that it should be a direct bolt up pi swap.
N8!

·
8,239 Posts
just for the record the navigator has the 5.4 DOHC motor. Are you sure about that?

I would say no it won't even fit in the engine bay.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Justin, he meant just the heads.

Navigators are DOHC, and as such are neither NPI or PI. PI heads come on newer (years vary by model) 4.6L and 5.4L SOHC engines. Doesn't matter if the heads are from a 5.4L or a 4.6L.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Only the mid-1999 and newer Navigators have the 5.4 DOHC motor. The first year Navigator, 1998, and the early 99 models had the 5.4 SOHC, with the 99 being a P.I. motor, same as a 1999 F-150 or Expedition. The 5.4 DOHC came in about 3 or 4 months into the 99 model year production, around Dec. 98 if I recall correctly. I'm guessing the 5.4 DOHC wasn't quite ready to go for the start of the 99 model year.

cheers,
Ed N.

edit for speeling

1 - 5 of 5 Posts