TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does everyone suggest for a near stock exhaust setup?
I'm getting the front 2 cats removed on monday, and would like to know what would sound best:

a) 3rd cat and resonator removed and replaced with y/straight pipe. rest left how it is.
b) 3rd cat removed, resonator replaced with something???? any suggestions?
c) 3rd cat and resonator removed, and replaced with y/straight pipe. replace the stock mufflers with some different muffs. any suggestions?
d)other

my main concerns are drone at highway speeds, and not sounding too ricey. But I want a slightly better tone than stock.
I would love to go true dual, but I only have a budget of $300. The exhaust shop quoted me $150-200 to replace my 2 cats (replacements provided by me) and remove the 3rd cat and resonator and putting in a straight pipe. so I have about $100-150 to work with to make it sound a bit better.

BTW, I searched and couldn't find any good answers

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
find a cheaper shop. So your going offroad exhaust? One real cheap solution is glasspacks they actually sound good on a 4.6 with offroad exhaust. or run a magnaflow crossflow (camaro style) muffler at the rear then youll only have to buy one muffler. Stay away from rustmasters there no good and drone like crazy

·
Registered
1994 Tbird - JO'Neil long block, TFHS trans, Quarterhorse tuned
418 Posts
the dynomax cat-back kit has given me years of good results. no drone and no rice. its not loud either....nice low key rumble. slightly louder than stock are your words and this fits imho. i would recommend this for mostly stock applications.

if you want head turning loud, this will not do it for you.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
With your low budget, you're best bet is to keep the 2-1-2 set up. Lose the cats (as you already have planned), replace the third cat (resonator) with a dual in-single out Magnaflow muffler (my personal favorite, other companies make them as well) then split back into "duals" after the single pipe gets you around the gas tank.

I also like the glasspack idea.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
find a cheaper shop. So your going offroad exhaust? One real cheap solution is glasspacks they actually sound good on a 4.6 with offroad exhaust. or run a magnaflow crossflow (camaro style) muffler at the rear then youll only have to buy one muffler. Stay away from rustmasters there no good and drone like crazy
It will technically be offroad, by cutting off the 3rd cat, but it should still pass emissions. The $150-200 quote was to replace the entire front section from manifolds back to the resonator, with me providing the 2 main cats (which i have already) Including hacking off the 3rd cat, welding in a Y pipe, and a straight pipe in place of the resonator. I don't think it was too bad of a price considering the rust they might have to deal with.

When you say glasspacks do you mean as a replacement for the stock mufflers? I guess my main concern is not having drone after removing the resonator. I'll have to talk to the shop to see what they have in stock for options.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts